2ML70 Rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hopefully you find a cheaper way to get it out. I never noticed on this tear down video at the 11min ish mark, they do a cut from him trying to get it out, to it just pulling out.

which they would have showed what he did.

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
IMG_0066.jpegSo we made some progress lifting it and hammering around the outside of the transmission, but not fast enough. Going to a hardware store for a pulley system to use the lift to slowly pull the the motor from housing while flat on the floor. Planning on chaining the trans down to one leg have the pulley on the opposite leg and run the chain up to the lift arm. Then run the lift up to slowly pull the 1st drive motor out

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow it's really stuck in there huh. hopefully that works.

what's the 1k$ puller look like?

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
IMG_0067.jpegIt’s just a hoop with three hooks and a place to put a chain. Got some hooks and connectors to make the same thing with a chain. Ended up having to wedge the casing under a lift arm to hold it down while using a cherry picker to add tension, while tapping the casing with a rubber mallet where it connects to the bell housing. Got her out though.

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpeg
    IMG_0071.jpeg
    347.6 KB · Views: 6

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
View attachment 417292It’s just a hoop with three hooks and a place to put a chain. Got some hooks and connectors to make the same thing with a chain. Ended up having to wedge the casing under a lift arm to hold it down while using a cherry picker to add tension, while tapping the casing with a rubber mallet where it connects to the bell housing. Got her out though.

A baby is born...

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
glad you got it out.. that's cool.

find anything damaged inside beside cluch disks?

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
glad you got it out.. that's cool.

find anything damaged inside beside cluch disks?
Clutch discs were fried, also the sun gear planetary system pins were torn up and fell right out as well as the the locking spacers. They are hard to find, a used transmission shop here in Portland had a 2ML70 used in the warehouse, they are pulling the assembly for me to see if I can rebuild from that. Otherwise it’s 550 at SMC performance for a new unit. After that I should be able to finish and seal the transmission and get her back in.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bummer the hard parts are worn out. I guess at least you're able to find them new as a last resort.

is that the same part that fell apart in that video of them taking that one apart? the pins the smaller inner gears ride on? Wonder if it's a common issue with these

OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
First picture is what the retaining washer is supposed to look like, second one is worn. Sonnax is a parts company that has a sister company in Portland (Transtar) who had the 2ML70 washers on their website. Sonnax also said they had them, but differed me to transtar.
They didn’t have them and after taking measurements, they are close to the same first position planetary assembly in the 2L60e but slightly longer. Conveniently next door was a used transmission shop that also partners with transtar. They happened to get a 2ML70 a couple weeks back and pulled the whole assembly for me. It is also worn pretty bad in spots, but does appear that I will be able to refurbish something out of both sets.

Attachments

• IMG_0087.jpeg
    IMG_0087.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0088.jpeg
    IMG_0088.jpeg
    203.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0086.jpeg
    IMG_0086.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
Knagawa350

Knagawa350

Reaction score
bummer the hard parts are worn out. I guess at least you're able to find them new as a last resort.

is that the same part that fell apart in that video of them taking that one apart? the pins the smaller inner gears ride on? Wonder if it's a common issue with these
The one he had that fell apart was the second assembly, mine looked used but not falling apart the washers all have the retaining tabs in place

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chiefable