28-32 mpg possible?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I have averaged 20 MPG's on a tank of gas before, probably 95-98% highway miles with some serious grandma driving.... SERIOUS GRANDMA DRIVING

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AJ, please be very specific about the person you are calling a moron.

Anyone who thinks they can get 28-32 mpg which equates to a 728-832 mile range On a yukon denali or some chevy crew cab with some "economy tune"

Last edited:

rlschmidt14

Reaction score
I have averaged 20 MPG's on a tank of gas before, probably 95-98% highway miles with some serious grandma driving.... SERIOUS GRANDMA DRIVING

haha seriously. There is NO WAY i could average over 21 mpg even with all highway driving... no way... ever.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
also, as a side note... I have a high octane tune which helps my MPG's. so although I am getting better MPG, I pay more for gas... I bet if the conditions were JUST RIGHT and I was on a long road trip and did not care about making good time, I could MAYBE get 21-22 MPGs.

but I wouldn't bet on that.

these are 6,000lb vehicles, good mileage is just something you gave up when you purchased the truck. It can be better, but it will never be good

SmallXL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I

You want good gas mileage,...., use higher octane fuel

Care to share how higher octane fuel is supposed to help your mileage? With everything being equal, higher octane fuel will get LESS mpg (lower octane has more energy/btu, but is more susceptible to detonation)

skippy737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
U want a free lesson in chemistry and math?
Take an identical vehicle, in this case a yukon denali 2010 or a 2002 pathinder use 87 vs 91/92/93 ocatane. You will see an improved increased in mpg by up to 1 mpg -however is the extra .30/ gallon times your tank capacity worth it? Maybe not monetarily, but for fear of detonation? Gmab - id rather spend a tad more for better fuel ( detonation at highway speeds? Prob not even an issue at highway speeds - in the case of the denali .3(26) = $7.80 - the gallon of 87 to go that extra 26 miles = $4.80 at $3/gallon )for an extra 26 mile range- to some (no, to some

---------- Post added at 11:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 PM ----------

I suggest u google octane and detonation, filtering the ones that deal with each other and how and why they are related- then after being informed, please post ur findings- if u do the work maybe it will make sense and u will realize what u said above

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
just use what the manufacture states, paying more for higher octane in a car/truck that can safely run on 87 is ******* the wallet, and IMHO wont gain you any power or mileage.
Knock sensors sense detonation, and pulls timing accordingly. But if the mnaufacture states "safe to run on 87", then 87 is fine. Now if it says run 91, and you run 87, then you are loosing power.

tybardy

everyone needs a Hoe
Reaction score
I have had my truck tuned to run on high octane fuel and get better mileage because of it... however this is a different scenario because the timeing has been turned back in my truck.

As for octane and mileage... prior to my tune, I tried all three levels of gas and could not come up with a measurable difference that i could trace back to the fuel itself.

Parting Shots - some gas stations will add more cleaning detergents to their premium fuel. This alone might be enough to justify the additional $8 per fillup as it is better for your motor. On the other hand, because high octane fuel is not as widely used, it sits in the fill-up stations tank for a longer period of time, which leaves it suseptable to spoiling (gas does go bad gentlement). At least once every 10 to 15 fillups, I end up with a poor quality high octance fuel and my motor will ping because of it. (remember, my motor needs high octane because of the tune)

find a station you like that sells quality fuel and fill your truck up per the manufacturers recomendations...

rlschmidt14

Reaction score
I just drove 600 miles yesterday... from Cleveland, OH to Durham, NC and averaged 17.2 mpg..

Probably averaged 70-75mph and had to go through the Appalachian mountains... which really hurt that average mpg.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts