2021 Tahoe Shifter Module and Transmission problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gocajuns74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Tahoe LT that we purchased July of last year. I don't the know build date but we basically bought it while In-Transit if that means anything time wise. Currently my Tahoe has been at the dealership since mid week before Thanksgiving. The problem I was having was the truck would start but not shift into gear. I had to have it towed. When they 1st started to diagnose the problem the advisor said there was something like 20 warnings or items that popped up. Last week they had a diagnosis of we need to change the shifting module, but not sure that will fix everything. Module will take a few days to deliver. Yesterday, week 3 now, the report was, shifting module was changed but we're still diagnosing the problem. Not sure he was supposed to mention to me but there are other new Tahoes and Suburbans with the same issues getting worked on as well. My truck has 30K miles and up to this point, I've had minimal issues. About a month or so ago I did have to change out some wire that was connected to the fuel gauge that was giving me inaccurate readings on how much gas I had in the tank. Other than that no crazy problems.

Has anyone else experienced this and/or what did they do next?

Thanks in advance.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that’s a new issue I haven’t seen much of on here. I tend to keep an eye on new posts as I’ve got a 21 with 15k miles on it now that was purchased in April 21.

I also haven’t experienced that issue but hopefully they figure it out. That doesn’t sound like a good deal at all.

OP
OP
G

Gocajuns74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I think that’s a new issue I haven’t seen much of on here. I tend to keep an eye on new posts as I’ve got a 21 with 15k miles on it now that was purchased in April 21.

I also haven’t experienced that issue but hopefully they figure it out. That doesn’t sound like a good deal at all.
I haven't been bitten by the lifter bug yet. I'm sure that's in my future as well. I'm not sure but I think lemon law comes into play at 45 days here. I really don't want this car anymore.

Micahsd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't been bitten by the lifter bug yet. I'm sure that's in my future as well. I'm not sure but I think lemon law comes into play at 45 days here. I really don't want this car anymore.

I was hit with the lifter issue at 9,100 miles back in April. Downside is they only replaced the affected bank even though while it was in the shop the TSB was updated to relplace all lifters under $16k miles.

You should be fine as yours was built later and you’re up to 30k miles now. My engine build date fell within the affected range (was a month prior to the build date of March ‘21).

For me I’m kept wondering when the other side will give out. :)

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its sad that these dealers don't have competent techs.

You guys don't have lemons. You have crappy technicians and dealer service centers. They can't diagnose it because they don't know how.

A quick call to TAC and a case number is all it really takes to straighten out any issues a GM branded product may have if the tech is having a hard time.

Sorry about your misfortune. This isn't just a GM problem. Good qualified techs are extremely in limited supply regardless of brand.

OP
OP
G

Gocajuns74

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update, this Thursday will be 30 days at dealership. I got a call back today, last call was last Tuesday. Says they're still diagnosing and think they will have to change out the ECM, a shift cable and repair some wires. Shift module was changed out last week and didn't fix all of the codes. We shall see.

DuraYuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update, this Thursday will be 30 days at dealership. I got a call back today, last call was last Tuesday. Says they're still diagnosing and think they will have to change out the ECM, a shift cable and repair some wires. Shift module was changed out last week and didn't fix all of the codes. We shall see.
Tell them to call TAC. They seem like they are guessing. TAC will help them actually diagnose and repair it.

Chad G 1979

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my 1500 miles the 10 speed has been smooth as butter regardless of if i am gentle driving or needing a big burst of acceleration for onramps etc...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts