2017 Buffeting With Windows UP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dmad1

Reaction score
Recently purchased a '17 LT. Buffeting on the driver's side really bugs me. I am wondering if it could possibly be the rear spoiler causing the turbulence? Anyone tried making a few mods to see if it made any difference? Or maybe installing the cross rails on the roof rack. I am also going to try it with my driver's mirror folded in. Has anyone approached a service dept. to see if there are any TSBs or if they have a fix? The '12 we had did not have this problem. Beginning to wish I had not bought this car.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently purchased a '17 LT. Buffeting on the driver's side really bugs me. I am wondering if it could possibly be the rear spoiler causing the turbulence? Anyone tried making a few mods to see if it made any difference? Or maybe installing the cross rails on the roof rack. I am also going to try it with my driver's mirror folded in. Has anyone approached a service dept. to see if there are any TSBs or if they have a fix? The '12 we had did not have this problem. Beginning to wish I had not bought this car.
Uh oh. How recent? Like, 3 days and you can still return recent?

OP
OP
D

dmad1

Reaction score
3 weeks. Good idea though. Like I said in a different post, I didn't do enough research. Thought it would be as good as the '12 was. I had very few problems with it. Even after over 100k miles, it still rode and drove good with the stock shocks, etc. I will admit that this one has more low end. I think 1st and 2nd gear is lower that the other one and you can feel the difference on acceleration. I had a '09 Pontiac G8 Gt and it was geared that way with only 2.89 gears. My Vette is the same and it only has 2.56s under it. I think they have to in order to get it up and going on the low end and still get the better mileage on top end. A set of 3.73s would make this thing a real work horse. Maybe in my next life...

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will admit that this one has more low end. I think 1st and 2nd gear is lower that the other one and you can feel the difference on acceleration.
I doubt the gears are much different. It actually has more power than your ‘12, being that the engine had been redesigned for 2015. Same displacement but pretty much everything else different.

Good luck with the buffeting. There is a TON to read on here about it. I’d return the vehicle if possible because it’s nearly impossible to completely fix. The issue has been on national news...

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it's a problem with the body vents. Either they're not all operating or they're badly placed. Worth checking to see if taping them open cures it, taping them closed might do it, who knows.

LI Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bring it back and see if you can get out of it.

There is a TSB. Also plenty of threads here and hundreds of complaints with the ntsb website

Protect1989

Reaction score
It’s your vehicle. There are countless complaints about it and I highly doubt you’re going to be the one to solve the problem. Don’t mean that to come off in a mean way, just that your vehicle is so new I would put it on the dealer to resolve. If they can’t then they can buy it back. It’s a known issue

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bring it back and see if you can get out of it.

There is a TSB. Also plenty of threads here and hundreds of complaints with the ntsb website

Agree. Take it back and demand either a fix, refund, or trade. Of those three options, a fix is the least likely to be successful, unfortunately, but it’s possible. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

acainindy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That feeling in your ears is a harmonic that creates pressure in the cabin. Here is what my dealer did to solve mine:

1. Re-attach the roof cross members per TSB
2. Replace 20inch tires with Michelin LTX2 tires
3. Roadforce balance and align the vehicle
4. Replace all 4 shocks
5. Replace rear ring and pinion (original had abnormal wear on edges of teeth)

The pressure booming in my ears was reduced after 1-4 but not completely gone.
It all went away after the ring and pinion replacement.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim2014