2016 Yukon XL Denali - buffeting/excessive vibration - follow along

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
Interesting. I assume most Discount Tire shops use regular balancing machines and the dealer may have the more fancy Road Force?

Good question. I have no idea if it simply comes down to a shop wanting to spend the money on it or what. It's definitely more work for each tire and each vehicle. Maybe they road force balance if they can't nail down an issue using standard balancing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
I just received a call from the service department. They said that they have replaced 2 of the 4 tires and that has eliminated the vibration issue as well as the buffeting issue. They want me to provide a thorough test drive before leaving with it. They also said that the PI/bulletin did not apply to 2016's if the noise had remained. We shall see how this plays out.

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
9/18/15 - I picked up the truck a little while ago and it is dramatically different, in a good way. The vibration is completely gone. The buffeting is better but it definitely still exists. I had a tech take a 30+ ride with me. He was fantastic in his professionalism, his knowledge and overall representation of the GM brand (George, if you are reading, thanks for your efforts). He was telling me how the road force balancing took car of the vibration and some of the buffeting but that in all reality these trucks are built way different than they used to be. Especially on 22" wheels, the feedback that is sent through the vehicle from the road is felt much more in these trucks. I am not sure how a 2016 model year truck could start production on a Monday after 2015 production ended the previous Friday yet the PI not apply to it. That said, I am thankful at this point they didn't pull the headliner. If it gets to that point, fine, but day 5 of ownership? I have 250 miles on it and am going to give it another 250 to see if things improve at all. I think there are varying levels of sensitivity across owners of this truck. My bet is that this buffeting occurs in EVERY 2015 and 2016 vehicle but some deal with it, some are used to worse noises/feelings and some simply speak up.

Is anyone aware of one single truck having this problem, doing through various troubleshooting/PI's and walking away with a quiet truck?

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
9/19/15 - Go outside to head to a day of soccer games and truck starts up...after 5 seconds of idling it sounds like it is running out of gas (over half full). I turn it off and try to start it again with no luck. It's putting out a serious rotten egg smell but will not start. Have a call into service this morning. Happy week one (not even a week) of GM ownership.

OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
Onstar call for diagnostic - codes P0506 P0106 - air intake control system is not operating as expected. Monitors air flowing into the engine. Experience lack of power, rough idle, etc.*

Truck got towed to dealership but won't get looked at until Monday. Gave me a 15 Yukon XL SLE (which also has buffeting issue).

undertaker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sadly I've been on the fence about picking up a truck for the wife for when I knock her up and she starts popping lil terrors. I love my GM trucks but these stories have me hesitating. Maybe I should just order a blower and then I'll have to force myself to buy a truck to put it on.

hopefully this sorts itself out but first week I'd be flipping my isht. I would be expecting some sort of payoff for pain and suffering as well.

75k this isn't what I expect, my suburban I hooked a 8k trailer on when it was a day old 130k ago and never a driveline problem, my CTSV I tripled the speed limit on the way home from the dealer and 4 years no problems other than front wheel clicking which they all do. But the recurring problems on the new trucks have me worried, to me they are the best stuff GM makes besides the CTSV and Vettes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
yahtzee

yahtzee

Reaction score
Why did this get moved to the engine forum? I am trying to keep folks aware of my experiences overall with this new truck.

rad-man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
9/19/15 - Go outside to head to a day of soccer games and truck starts up...after 5 seconds of idling it sounds like it is running out of gas (over half full). I turn it off and try to start it again with no luck. It's putting out a serious rotten egg smell but will not start. Have a call into service this morning. Happy week one (not even a week) of GM ownership.

Dang!!

now i'm starting to get worried about my '16.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879