2016 Tahoe front drivers door handle removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
J

Jasmaye

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so you did not get it replaced yet? or did I miss something
I have not gotten it replaced yet. I put the door panel back on when I finally gave up so I could use my vehicle. Going to try to get into the the dealership at some point.

Doctor Dave

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. I need help removing the door handle on my 16 Tahoe Drivers door. Instead of removing a plug and having access to an internal screw directly to the handle, there is a screw and washer in place and then a nut stuck into something rubber. Need help please
just did this. there is one video on you tube showing how to deal with that thing but its a real pain. You have to push that thing in the hole out of the way in order to LOOSEN (only a few turns-It just compresses against the lock cylinder. if you unscrew it thinking it's going to let you pull it out like on all the other videos, it will fall into the bottom of the door, and then it's a REAL problem) The thing they don't tell you is there is a second screw on the inside of the door under a little plastic cap, which you need to remove, which means you have to pull the door panel. once you've done all that, you should be able to wiggle that cylinder cover out, and then removal of the handle is simple. What I did to get that rubber and metal thing out of the way, was buy a $4.99 spring ring pliers at Harbor Freight and use it to push it to the right as far as it will go. you can then put a T20 Torx driver into the screw further in ( get a small flashlight and look in the hole--you will see it on an angle in there. you can also use the Torx driver to lever against the rubber thing) remember, just a couple turns. Good luck! The other doors take 5 minutes, this one took me 3 hours. ( I was ignorant and unscrewed the inner screw all the way and dropped it into the bottom of the door.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
just did this. there is one video on you tube showing how to deal with that thing but its a real pain. You have to push that thing in the hole out of the way in order to LOOSEN (only a few turns-It just compresses against the lock cylinder. if you unscrew it thinking it's going to let you pull it out like on all the other videos, it will fall into the bottom of the door, and then it's a REAL problem) The thing they don't tell you is there is a second screw on the inside of the door under a little plastic cap, which you need to remove, which means you have to pull the door panel. once you've done all that, you should be able to wiggle that cylinder cover out, and then removal of the handle is simple. What I did to get that rubber and metal thing out of the way, was buy a $4.99 spring ring pliers at Harbor Freight and use it to push it to the right as far as it will go. you can then put a T20 Torx driver into the screw further in ( get a small flashlight and look in the hole--you will see it on an angle in there. you can also use the Torx driver to lever against the rubber thing) remember, just a couple turns. Good luck! The other doors take 5 minutes, this one took me 3 hours. ( I was ignorant and unscrewed the inner screw all the way and dropped it into the bottom of the door.

How about a link to that helpful video?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TiGrayMSM