2016 Burb - New Built 6L80 and Circle D Converter going In Soon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

usaf27

Reaction score
This Wednesday. Installing my rebuilt 6L80 and Circle D converter 1800-2000 stall with Penzoil Platinum full synthetic LV ATF.

The builder said my 4-5-6 clutch was smoked and there was slight scoring on the pump. He rebuilt the trans, gave me a new pump and installed some Sonnax upgrades that I provided.

When I bought this Burb it had 94,000 miles on it. All stock. I had done a Diablew tune, and superior Tstat bypass. Serviced everything including a pan drop at 94k miles. The magnet at 94k mikes was somewhat caked with grey material. Anyway this 6l80 failed at 112k miles.

Attached is what the pan looked like when I ripped it out at 112k miles.

Hoping this goes smooth and will keep you posted Wednesday night or Thursday. Just sharing.

Attachments

• IMG_4895.jpeg
    IMG_4895.jpeg
    275.6 KB · Views: 13

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing about your experience with the 1800-2000 stall everyday drivability after installation and testing.

Thrust

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow the fluid with only 20k miles looks nasty. Did it smell burnt or anything? But I guess if the 4-5-6 clutch was toasted that would explain it?

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Wow the fluid with only 20k miles looks nasty. Did it smell burnt or anything? But I guess if the 4-5-6 clutch was toasted that would explain it?
Yes it smelled burnt. Not sure why it went out all of a sudden. I was just cruising at 60MPH and it started shuddering and slipping. No warning or anything.

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep, 4-5-6 and 3-5-R packs burn down quick once they start to go and transform the fluid to what you see in that pic. I always recommend the 3-5-R apply ring and 4-5-6 piston kit on overhaul as both add one more clutch and steel plate to each respective clutch pack, increasing carrying capacity by 20-25%...

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
Completely normal, to be honest.

Are you doing your own fast adapt relearn?
That’s something I’m going to figure out. My plan is to install the trans, load the Diablew tune and then trigger the fast adapt relearn before the first test drive. My father in law has something similar to those Autel diagnostic tool scanners.

You have any insight on any specific way to trigger the fast adapt relearn or an order of operation?

Thanks!

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Sin City
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s something I’m going to figure out. My plan is to install the trans, load the Diablew tune and then trigger the fast adapt relearn before the first test drive. My father in law has something similar to those Autel diagnostic tool scanners.

You have any insight on any specific way to trigger the fast adapt relearn or an order of operation?

Thanks!
Insight: Need a bi-directional scan tool or software capable ofnfast adapts and it needs to be performed once fluid level is correct and trans temp is 160+. Beyond that, just follow the instructions as they appear on the scan tool. I use Snap On Verus but any tool with adapt reset functionality will work.

ATRA F/A Bulletin 1392

OReilly Auto FA Fact Sheet

OP
OP
U

usaf27

Reaction score
@NickTransmissions
Test driving after getting it all together. When cruising at 60mph in 6th gear, The RPMs seem to pulse slightly on the tach. In your mind, Would that indicate a converter problem?

Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879