2015 Yukon SLT noise coming from driver's side dashboard or below

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Warhammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. Just bought a '15 Yukon SLT and I've had a strange issue.

A couple weeks back, I went over a pothole or something and shortly after noticed a chirping or clicking coming from somewhere behind the driver's side dashboard area, or possibly the lower part of the dash. Was driving me nuts for two days and played with everything -- readjusting position of steering wheel, accelerator/brake pedals, even finagling the vents. Then suddenly, the noise went away. Just this morning, the noise started again, so I started fiddling with stuff again.

It seemed to have gone away but I just got into work and won't be able to see if it is still gone until later today. I suspect (but have no way of knowing) that messing with the electronic steering wheel and/or adjustable brake/accelerator function has something to do with causing the noise to go away. But I want a permanent solution!

Anyone else with this issue? Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks for your help!

MisterSHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we're experiencing the same thing, but I've posted a couple times about an intermittent rattle or vibration that almost feels like it's coming from the base of the steering wheel housing. It will totally go away for days and then randomly reappear and it's INFURIATING. Every minor pothole there's a multi-rattle rattle. Funny you mentioned messing with the steering wheel adjustment, I've convinced myself that that makes it go away for a bit. But then sometimes it doesn't. My local dealer won't even return my messages about this.

OP
OP
W

Warhammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm not sure if we're experiencing the same thing, but I've posted a couple times about an intermittent rattle or vibration that almost feels like it's coming from the base of the steering wheel housing. It will totally go away for days and then randomly reappear and it's INFURIATING. Every minor pothole there's a multi-rattle rattle. Funny you mentioned messing with the steering wheel adjustment, I've convinced myself that that makes it go away for a bit. But then sometimes it doesn't. My local dealer won't even return my messages about this.

And this is on a '15 Yukon too? So I'm glad I got a reply because I was giving this noise more thought on my commute this morning and I actually think I would describe it like some of the plastic or poly pieces of the dash don't fit quite right and "squeak" if I go over bumps, as if the moldings were slightly off or something.

I realize that in a stiff single piece frame truck like this it is inevitable for things to get loosened up over time, but for the price point and only 4,000 miles so far, I am expecting this thing to be a tightly-constructed vault for at least a year!

I agree with you on the intermittency of the noise...tell me, have you also noticed that it only comes after you've been driving for at least 10 minutes or so? When I start driving, I can go over the same bumps but the car is dead silent -- the squeaking only starts once I've been driving for a bit. I almost speculate that temperature changes are expanding and contracting some dash panel elements after the car gets cooled down... The noise is making me come up with the craziest theories.

MisterSHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very interesting thought regarding the temperature. Yes, I have a '15 ... and mine will do it when I first leave my driveway. Maybe when it's cold? I'll have to keep listening for triggers. It's just bizarre that it's so loud / apparent at times and then totally silent for days. Totally agree with the price point comment. I have 3k miles on mine and there are three places that rattle. It's making me crazy.

OP
OP
W

Warhammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Wow -- three places? That has really got to be annoying the heck out of you.

You know, after I wrote that reply earlier today, I drove home (commute is about 35 miles), and I mean, this vehicle didn't make a noise. It's so random how it goes away like that.

I'm really just hoping that the vehicle's construction kind of "settles" as it gets older if it is a dash panel fit problem...who knows. I'm definitely planning on playing wait and see before I take it to a dealer to investigate.

humer101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. Just bought a '15 Yukon SLT and I've had a strange issue.

A couple weeks back, I went over a pothole or something and shortly after noticed a chirping or clicking coming from somewhere behind the driver's side dashboard area, or possibly the lower part of the dash. Was driving me nuts for two days and played with everything -- readjusting position of steering wheel, accelerator/brake pedals, even finagling the vents. Then suddenly, the noise went away. Just this morning, the noise started again, so I started fiddling with stuff again.

It seemed to have gone away but I just got into work and won't be able to see if it is still gone until later today. I suspect (but have no way of knowing) that messing with the electronic steering wheel and/or adjustable brake/accelerator function has something to do with causing the noise to go away. But I want a permanent solution!

Anyone else with this issue? Anybody know what's going on here?

Thanks for your help!

Nothing over here but will contact a gm mechanic friends to ask about this.

:hmmm2:

MisterSHO

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Two of my rattle issues are definitely just a loose plastic-on-plastic that could be fixed with a little silicone or something. (The piece of plastic molding around the driver's side window control and the passenger seat-belt housing are both somehow loosely affixed.) The thing behind the steering wheel column / dash is something different. It's like something pops out and vibrates intermittently. Not a typical rattle. And you're right, when the truck is quiet it's QUIET ... which probably makes the rattles that much more irritating :)

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warhammer, I may have an answer for you. Took a day and a half for myself and the tech to figure it out. 2015 Tahoe. Sensitive to temperature as to when it creaks loudest. He told me this was also a problem on some of the Chevy pickups. Check the Steering Angle Sensor. Apparently the correct fix is to remove the steering column to replace the Sensor (no thanks). I was also told that repositioning the sensor may work or spray a little silicone where it is close to the steering column. It is a little hard to see but if you lay on your back and look at the steering column under the dash you should be able to see the sensor close to the shiney metal part of the steering column. If you move the steering wheel you should hear the creaking noise and see how close it is to the steering column. This drove me crazy until we found it. Good luck and hope that is your issue.

OP
OP
W

Warhammer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Tahoe14 -- that sounds like a great suggestion, and I'll explore more when I get my hands on a flashlight...I just kneeled down and sort of tried to see under there and there is a lot of stuff, wires, etc. going on down there but the truck is in a dimly lit garage at the moment.

Once I identify the piece you're talking about, I'll experiment with it. Thanks for the idea!! I'll post back here if I make any headway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Speardog