2015 Yukon Denali XL- engine seized, no warning lights, gauges read normal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZakA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
First time poster, long time GMC customer. 2015 Yukon Denali XL 63,000 miles 4wd. Got in the vehicle to take my family out to dinner on July 10th, 2017. Less than .5 a mile after driving I noticed the idle wasn't right and felt a slight shudder. I slowed down and looked for a place to pull over. About 10 seconds later the truck stopped running and I pulled over to the side of the road. There was no warning lights on and all gauges showed the correct temps and readings. I tried to start the truck and it turned over but didn't start. After that initial attempt the starter would not turn the engine over. My first thought maybe the battery was dead and that caused the truck to stop running. Hooked up jumpers and no difference. Had the vehicle towed to our local dealer Watson Chevrolet in Tucson.

After the dealer removed the pulleys and tried to turn the block by hand they called to inform me that my Yukon had overheated and seized the block. I was shocked to say the least! Apparently there has been a light leak in the radiator that was not noticed by me or their service department. The dealer is taking the stance that since the radiator was not covered by power train the repairs to the motor will not be covered. My stance is that the vehicle never had a low coolant warning or even showed a change in the engine temp that was out of line. The temperature gauge read normal the entire time and no warning lights or messages ever came on.

5 weeks prior I had the truck into the same dealer trying to resolve a hard shift problem. They replaced the valve body on the transmission and the temperature sensor for the transmission. Apparently the transmission sensor was not displaying the correct temp and needed to be replaced.

The dealer wants me to authorize a tear down to see what the cause was. It is apparent that the radiator leak was the cause of the overheating but I had no indication that is was low on fluid or that it was overheating. The dealer can't tell me if they find that the warning system or gauges were not functioning properly that the warranty will cover the rebuild of the motor. I am looking for advice on how to proceed.

OP
OP
Z

ZakA

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Update- Just received a call from the service manger. The lifter spring on the #4 cylinder gave loose and fell into the cylinder. This would explain the lack of any error codes or the motor overheating. The motor didn't have the chance to send any error codes because it seized almost immediately.

The panic and uncertainty was induced by a service tech that was over zealous on pinning the failure on a leaky radiator. The motor was not "bone dry" as he insisted. The dealer is ordering a new motor and will be installing it under warranty.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear they are taking care of you. You may want to make sure the other tech is not involved in the engine swap

Nord

Reaction score
Sounds like you're getting taken care of now. For what it's worth, I had a leaky radiator replaced under warranty a couple months ago. My bumper to bumper warranty was expired but it was covered under the engine warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmyC