2014 Suburban - Weight Distro Hitch/Suspension question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeepEmissions

Reaction score
We purchased a 2023 Keystone 318BR RV (7620lbs dry), knowing that the Suburban wouldn't handle it, and expecting to find a 2500 Suburban or pickup for big family trips with the RV.
(2 adults, 1 5'10 teen, and 3 kids in car seats and boosters)
However, I just read that a weight distribution hitch should bring the max trailer weight capacity to 8100 pounds and the max tongue weight to 1215 pounds.
Should I pursue this method and attempt to add suspension components like add-a-leaf or airbags to the current suburban or is that still a big risk?
Is anyone else hauling something as heavy as I am with food, family, supplies, and whatever else we'll have in the RV with a half-ton Suburban?

I'd much rather use the one we have, 2500 Burbs are hard to come by and not cheap when found. 2500 Pickups won't be able to haul all the family comfortably, especially since front bench seats are rare.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There will be lots of opinions on this one. If I were to tow that much weight with the most precious cargo ever I’d only do it locally but that’s just me. A 31 foot trailer with that dry weight leaves you less than 500 pounds for people and gear. However, there are several folks here that do it so I’ll let them speak to their experience.

15burban

Reaction score
Never go by dry weight or the manufacturers listed tongue weight. The real dry weight (only way to know for sure is to take it to a scale) is probably really close to your 8100 lbs.

Small/local trips I would be fine with. Big family trips which to me means fully loaded tow vehicle and camper long distances. I would definitely be looking for a 2500. Also depends on how much experience you have.

The towing experience should be almost as enjoyable as camping itself.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's a ton of towing advice here. guys tow pretty big rigs. they will probably chime in when they see this.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe this one has some good info in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
autom8ted