2014 Oil burn...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a vacuum in the intake manifold sucking on the valve cover. That's what an engine does. It sucks(induction system), and it blows(exhaust system).

You already had the new improved valve cover.

Install a cheap catch can inline between the valve cover and the intake to see if that is where the oil is going. I spent $30 on one 3 yrs ago. I added some stainless pot scrubber material to its little sump to help it catch oil. Works great.

I've been doing extended oil changes and used oil analysis on various vehicles that I own for 10+ yrs. IMO, if your engine has an aluminum block?, don't go past 10k miles with Amsoil Signature, and 7500 miles with any other synthetic oil. If it has an cast iron block? you can add 20% to these #s.

OP
OP
Kuhndog-11

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
There is a vacuum in the intake manifold sucking on the valve cover. That's what an engine does. It sucks(induction system), and it blows(exhaust system).

You already had the new improved valve cover.

Install a cheap catch can inline between the valve cover and the intake to see if that is where the oil is going. I spent $30 on one 3 yrs ago. I added some stainless pot scrubber material to its little sump to help it catch oil. Works great.

I've been doing extended oil changes and used oil analysis on various vehicles that I own for 10+ yrs. IMO, if your engine has an aluminum block?, don't go past 10k miles with Amsoil Signature, and 7500 miles with any other synthetic oil. If it has an cast iron block? you can add 20% to the #'s
I feel like the catch can, while useful for keeping oil from fouling plugs and causing valve buildup, Is a band aid to the problem. I want to keep the oil I put in, in the engine. I only go 7500 miles with amsoil. I'm not running it too far.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well last week I checked the fluids as I have done Every week since buying this thing and found it to be about half a quart low. Seemed odd. Have owned it for a few months and about 8 thousand miles. hasn't burned a drop until now. After jumping on here and researching I found that the PCV system in these is ******** lol. I ordered a new GM valve cover to replace the PCV. Number 1 and 7 are showing signs of the typical oil issues on these engines. I don't understand how the oil is getting in the cylinders though. The throttle is almost spotless. Does it have to do with the AFM/DOD system? If the oil burning continues I suppose I'll compression test and do a leak down on it. With just under 55k it is definitely concerning.
Check your engine oil cooler lines. Besides burning oil, the engine could also leak oil.

If you want to reduce burning oil, keep the rpms below 3000 most of the time! That's been my experience. I don't burn a drop of oil when I drive my truck but when I get it back from my wife, it's empty, the average mpg has gone from 15 to 9 and it's down a quart of oil. She says she likes the sound of the motor!

OP
OP
Kuhndog-11

Kuhndog-11

Reaction score
Check your engine oil cooler lines. Besides burning oil, the engine could also leak oil.

If you want to reduce burning oil, keep the rpms below 3000 most of the time! That's been my experience. I don't burn a drop of oil when I drive my truck but when I get it back from my wife, it's empty, the average mpg has gone from 15 to 9 and it's down a quart of oil. She says she likes the sound of the motor.
No leaks at all on this thing. That's why I'm concerned. My wife and I tend to drive it conservatively. Average mpg is 17.3 last time I looked. I mean every now and then I do rev her out a bit cause of cause I like the sound too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drewdrifter97

Latest posts