2009 Tahoe LTZ 5.3 - MAF Cleaning Step-by-step

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dktrpepr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The Tahoe recently hit 154,000 miles and I thought it was time to look at the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. My local mechanic said if it hasn't been changed yet to simply pull it out, clean it put it back in and watch the MPG's jump. Soooo....here was my step by step experience with cleaning the MAF.

STEP 1
On the 2009 Tahoe 5.3 locate the MAF in-line between the airbox and the throttle body.

STEP 2
Disconnect the plug coming out of the MAF by pressing on the tab and pulling on the plug

STEP 3
Remove the two TORX-25 screws holding the MAF to the hose

STEP 4
Gently lift the MAF from its location being VERY careful to NOT touch the wires or components inside of it.

STEP 5
Use CRC MAF sensor cleaner readily available at any auto parts store. I paid $9 here in Parker, CO

STEP 6
Being very careful not to touch the CRC straw to the MAF liberally coat the MAF wires, housing, really all parts of the MAF with the cleaner. The can says 10-15 passes but I know I went to town on it.

STEP 7
Let the MAF dry out for about 20-30 minutes before reinstalling

STEP 8
Reverse install starting with STEP 4 above and you're done!

After reinstalling my MAF I took the Tahoe for about a 50 mile ride to make sure no likes, hesitation or other issues popped up and wow! The truck ran like a champ with more throttle response and smooth idle.

I had resent my MPG before leaving the house and came back from a combination stop-and-go / highway trip to see 17.1 MPG on the dash. Usually this same trip gets me around 15 MPG.

Your mile may vary, but a simple job that the can says you should do every time you change air filters.

Good luck!

IMG_4223.jpg

IMG_4222.jpg

IMG_4221.jpg

IMG_4219.jpg

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see anything that improves MPG. I'm terrified to mess with this thing because of horror stories but glad to see you see a difference.

Did you let dry in its original place or you kept it out in the open to air dry?

OP
OP
dktrpepr

dktrpepr

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Glad to see anything that improves MPG. I'm terrified to mess with this thing because of horror stories but glad to see you see a difference.

Did you let dry in its original place or you kept it out in the open to air dry?

Good question!

I put some newspaper down on my workbench and sprayed it to death on that. I let it dry in the same place as well for 30 minutes before putting it back in the truck. Sat there for about another 15-20 before I took it out for a drive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar