2009 5.3 with 150,000 miles. What oil additives to use?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2009 Tahoe 5.3 with 150000 miles.
I do get a slight lifter tic when it's cold but goes away after it has been warmed up. I have been using synthetic oil only since 65000.
I have been thinking about doing an oil additive to give the engine a good cleaning, thinking sludge and other shit may have been built up with this engine's age and miles.

What do you all suggest? Sea Foam? Marvel? ???

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
I do get a slight lifter tic when it's cold but goes away after it has been warmed up. I have been using synthetic oil only since 65000.
I have been thinking about doing an oil additive to give the engine a good cleaning, thinking sludge and other shit may have been built up with this engine's age and miles.

Id stay away from the seafoam
Personal preference though
However I use a quart of marvel on every oil change and I stepped up a weight in oil and it’s helped a lot on mine and I’m getting over 350,000 miles now.
The marvel helped un stick two lifters in the past 100,000 miles as well so I’ve used it ever since.

Reaction score

Are you sure it's lifter tick and not a broken exhaust manifold bolt (usually the rears) causing a slight exhaust leak when cold the goes away after heating up/expanding a bit?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score

As @gooffeyguy said, can you confirm it's a lifter tick?

I'm not a fan of diluting engine oil. Modern quality synthetics have safe types and quantities of detergents that don't alter their weight or viscosity, which is an oil's primary protective factors. Before you assume your engine is sludged up, consider this: I bought mine at 146K miles. I'm positive that the previous owner maintained it well, but I'll never know what oil was used. After 49K miles of my ownership consisting of Pennzoil platinum every 5K miles, this is what my valve train looked like at 195,000 miles:

img_2783-jpg.jpg

I never used any engine oil additives, flushes, etc. If your engine is sludged to the point it's affecting oil to the lifters, then the last thing you should do is introduce harsh chemicals to try to quickly break it off the internal surfaces and hope it all flushes down to the oil pan. That'll just put even more solids in your oil system, potentially clogging the tiny passages such as those in the lifters and/or wedging the tiny moving parts within the AFM lifters, which are more susceptible to to dirty oil than the regular lifters. What you wanna do is exactly what you've been doing for the majority of your engine's life- use good oil to slowly and safely dissolve any solids so they can be removed as intended during an oil change.

On the other hand, your engine could be spotless inside and all manifold bolts intact and you do, in fact, have a ticking lifter. I had such a case. My Tahoe is mostly a weekend toy so it sits a lot. Sitting lets more oil drain from the top end than with a car that's ran more often. I had a (or some) failing lifter(s) that would tick at startup. Most likely AFM lifters. This often occurred for just a second or two but, once or twice, it ticked for a few minutes. I made it a habit, before I started the engine after sitting for 1-3 weeks, to hold the pedal to the floor to keep it from starting and crank the engine for a total of 20 seconds in two 10-second intervals. This primed the oil system and the ticking at startup was vastly reduced or eliminated. Appreciating that I at least had a warning of lifter issues, I did this for a year or so as I collected parts for an AFM delete.

In short, verify the source of the noise and go from there. You might just need a $40 set of manifold bolts and $25 set of manifold gaskets.

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When it comes to fluids I do not believe in additives. I that that whatever problem you are trying to solve by using an additive could be solved by changing your fluids more often if maintenance has been neglected. If you find that your fluids are getting dirtier at an unreasonably rapid pace there is an underlying problem that needs to be addressed like a PCV leak that is sucking dirty air into the motor contaminating the oil.

Recently my wife was "sold":confused: a transmission service WITH an additional service of aftermarket CVT additives on her 2020 Civic at her last oil change because they said that she needed it ASAP and the car doesn't even have 40,000miles on it. Basically scared her into buying a goofy trans service and they didn't even change the filter. :mad:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While above has good points, a noisy lifter with good oil pressure usually is a byproduct of poor maintenance practices. It CAN be cleaned up with MMO or ATF when diluted properly.

Case in point: 2008 lucerne 3.8L. Owned and put 100k on it - impeccable maintenance. Sold to in-laws @ 135k . They ran it into the ground and it had a lifer tick. Quoted $2300 to fix. Gave it BACK to me for my daughter since I could do the work. 2 qts of ATF/oil change worked OK. 2nd oil change with MMO and lifter has been silent.

Good maintenance - bad maintenance - good maintenance sandwich (family guy reference for those in the know. Hilarious)

It works. Just clean it up with some MMO and a couple oil changes and see where you're at.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo