2009 LTZ can’t get rear speakers to trigger

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m losing my mind with this thing.

Bought a 2009 LTZ that originally had nav and overhead console. Previous owner put a Sony head unit and PAC gm5 in poorly and nothing was working. Figured I’d swap my old kenwood in and everything would be gravy, nope. I gained everything but rear speakers and overhead console (this I’m ok with for now).

I pulled everything and tried the original nav unit and everything is fully functioning. Figured maybe the pac was the issue so bought an idatalink rr2 (had an rr in my old ssv and worked great)

I STILL cannot get the rear speakers to come on.

Summary: tried two different head units and two different integration setups and rear speakers won’t work but work fine with stock nav unit.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while so I don't remember the details, but there are some stipulations between the Bose amplified and non-Bose amplified systems as well as the type of Bose system (Lux and non-Lux) and how it's connected to the RP5. The reason it affects the rear is because, with the factory HU, those speakers are cut out when the rear passengers are listening to a different source or watching a DVD so the front passengers can listen to their separate audio source. This is lost with an aftermarket HU unless you have a high-end one and use an interface such as the iDatalink Maestro. IIRC, the RP5 has two input options- amplified and not. Maybe this has something to do with it, maybe not. Do you have the data (light green, IIRC) connected (steering wheel controls work)?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's been a while so I don't remember the details, but there are some stipulations between the Bose amplified and non-Bose amplified systems as well as the type of Bose system (Lux and non-Lux) and how its connected to the RP5. The reason it affects the rear is because, with the factory HU, those speakers are cut out when the rear passengers are listening to a different source or watching a DVD so the front passengers can listen to their separate audio source. This is lost with an aftermarket HU unless you have a high-end one and use an interface such as the iDatalink Maestro. IIRC, the RP5 has two input options- amplified and not. Maybe this has something to do with it, maybe not. Do you have the data (light green, IIRC) connected (steering wheel controls work)?
I ditched the pac interface for the idatalink maestro rr2 thinking that was the issue. I have it hooked up with the amplified setup. Maybe I just need to drop a bunch of coin on a nicer kenwood that’s idatalink compatible

Yes my steering wheel controls are working.

Maybe I’ll see if the aux in back is getting sound or not. I don’t have any wireless headphones and the overhead console is of little concern, it’s so small and terrible looking.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ditched the pac interface for the idatalink maestro rr2 thinking that was the issue. I have it hooked up with the amplified setup. Maybe I just need to drop a bunch of coin on a nicer kenwood that’s idatalink compatible

Yes my steering wheel controls are working.

Maybe I’ll see if the aux in back is getting sound or not. I don’t have any wireless headphones and the overhead console is of little concern, it’s so small and terrible looking.

I completely missed where you said you tried the Maestro. Check to see if the RSE is stuck in an "on" mode somehow. I think I recall reading a few years back where someone found a short in one of the headphone jacks that made the system think headphones were plugged in so it kept the rear speakers off. Plug and unplug some headphones or a regular AUX cord into each jack a few times.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I completely missed where you said you tried the Maestro. Check to see if the RSE is stuck in an "on" mode somehow. I think I recall reading a few years back where someone found a short in one of the headphone jacks that made the system think headphones were plugged in so it kept the rear speakers off. Plug and unplug some headphones or a regular AUX cord into each jack a few times.
Took me a bit to find some corded headphones but I tried both aux ports out back a few times, I can get some noise while plugging and unplugging but no actual sound. The source button works on the rear, the heated seats work but that’s all I can get.

I still don’t know why they’d work with the stock unit but not two different interfaces.

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright I lied. I can get both jacks to play with power on. They turn off with power off. Source button functions. PROG does nothing. I should probably check what that actually does

Last edited:

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of the issue's with the bose system and aftermarket head units and adapters is that you loose "fade" unless you use the maestro
unless I am mistaken you need the maestro rr, not the rr2 and in either case it should be programmed for your setup.
have you reached out to idatalink? they have a pretty good support team

OP
OP
Ilikemtb999

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought the rr2 because of the BT updates, I thought that was the only difference from the RR. I’ll have to reach out.

No fade is fine, I have zero rear speakers currently

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrSpork