2007 Denali w/ Nav but no Rear Entertainment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ADouglas11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We are getting ready to purchase a 2007 Denali XL that has almost every option except for rear entertainment. It has the Bose system with Nav and we are trying to figure out the best way to add rear entertainment. Attached is a picture of the existing unit.

We would like to be able to control/change the DVD from the front head unit, does anyone know if this unit is compatible to play DVD's? If not, what is the easiest plug and play head unit that we will need, OEM or non OEM?

Would it be recommended to purchase the OEM flip down unit or upgrade to a aftermarket unit? If we are to upgrade, would anyone recommend a certain brand to get/stay away from? Has anyone cut out the dome in the headliner? Is there anything to look out for?

Any advice from someone that has done this would be GREAT!!

I am new to this forum and look forward exploring it further.

Thanks in advance for your help!
-Alan

Attachments

• Stereo.jpg
    Stereo.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 31
OP
OP
A

ADouglas11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I picked up the Denali yesterday have discovered that this head unit is navigation only and would like to add DVD. Has anyone cut the headliner to add a flip down unit? Will the stock unit cover the entire hole after cutting out the dome (see picture)?

Is it possible to swap out the head unit for a newer OEM unit and then install the OEM flip down screen?

Trying to decide if that is too much trouble and instead should just install an aftermarket dvd (headrest or flip down).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 22

Parthery

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Denali was optioned the same as yours. Units with nav and no DVD are rare.

I went with the headrest units....bought the GM ones on eBay for 1/2 the cost at the dealer. Installed them myself in less than 2 hours. I like that both screens can show different programming or the same.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You only have DVD movie playing capabilities if you have the RSE package. Otherwise it's only DVD-ROM nav discs. Why not just headrest LCD displays? Each one has it's own built in DVD player. Way easier to do then cutting up your vehicle to add that RSE.

Phil_B_Hughes

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Parthery... i just bought the headrest dvd's for my 11 Escalade, any tips for where the plug ins are located? or anything else you can think that might be beneficial for me for installing on my own?

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 Denali was optioned the same as yours. Units with nav and no DVD are rare.

I went with the headrest units....bought the GM ones on eBay for 1/2 the cost at the dealer. Installed them myself in less than 2 hours. I like that both screens can show different programming or the same.

2 Hours eh? How much did you get em for on ebay?

Ponchonutty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can pick up a nice set from Advent/Audiovox/MTG for around $400 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Advent-Humm...onitors_w_Built_In_Player&hash=item35d301f543

There's others out there higher and lower but these are a decent bang for the buck. Just be careful if on power source. Sometimes if you get into the wrong circuit like using domelight constant wire (orange) can cause the BCM to stay awake and kill the battery. All the lights and such will work normally and you won't know what you've done until its too late.

OP
OP
A

ADouglas11

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise & help. I think our struggle is that our kids are still young and we would like to be able to control dvd’s from the front seats. That is the reason we were thinking a new head unit that can play dvd’s and then either go with a flip down or headrest monitors. I would also like to be able to plug in our ipad to play movies off it, has anyone done this to the newer OEM units that have a usb input?

Does anyone with headrests monitors notice it challenging for people in the 3rd row to see the screen?

nick2440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
talk to the guys at navrepair.com they will know exactly the best solution for you. Trust me. I have an 07 escalade with nav and no RSE but i sent my nav unit to them and they activated the U42 option for RSE and now i can control the dvd's from the front while my kids watch the movies on the headrest monitors.

One question. Can you watch a dvd up front while in park?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thathighlife7