2006 PCV valve location

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so I know on the older NBS trucks there’s a vacuum hose going to the top of the valve cover and that’s where the PCV valve is that can be replaced. However my 2006 just has a little plastic piece of piping from the top of the black back over to the valve cover. I replaced it today because the plastic piece connecting it to valve cover was cracked. However I’m confused as to where the actual valve is itself. @HiHoeSilver , the PCV you pulled up on rock auto for my year truck is nowhere to be found. Here’s a pic of the old and new piping:

B44D574B-D53F-48A8-8FDC-0EBC27AECE7A.jpeg
This is where the piping connects at the top side above the coil packs on the top of the engine block. Could this black piece have the valve inside it: F1BB090C-95B8-4A38-B2A4-EC31D73BC0BF.jpeg 5B20488A-59C4-49F8-802A-3870EE214F86.jpeg
Anyone else got any ideas? This is what rockauto lists for my truck so it’s gotta be somewhere... lol: 3D8C8E2F-DD29-45B5-87D5-AE061DB03130.png
And for the record this last piece^ did not come attached to the new piping.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
so I know on the older NBS trucks there’s a vacuum hose going to the top of the valve cover and that’s where the PCV valve is that can be replaced. However my 2006 just has a little plastic piece of piping from the top of the black back over to the valve cover. I replaced it today because the plastic piece connecting it to valve cover was cracked. However I’m confused as to where the actual valve is itself. @HiHoeSilver , the PCV you pulled up on rock auto for my year truck is nowhere to be found. Here’s a pic of the old and new piping:

View attachment 232094
This is where the piping connects at the top side above the coil packs on the top of the engine block. Could this black piece have the valve inside it: View attachment 232095 View attachment 232097
Anyone else got any ideas? This is what rockauto lists for my truck so it’s gotta be somewhere... lol: View attachment 232098
And for the record this last piece^ did not come attached to the new piping.

I don't remember ever seeing it either when I put my catch can on, but my guess would be what @SnowDrifter said. The other end of that pipe where it comes out of the crankcase.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear of drivers side valve cover
So then my guess is that it’s integrated into the valve cover. There’s a spot there where the piping plugs in, on my valve cover that looks different from the valve covers in all the videos I’ve watched on the older trucks.

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure when they changed it but I think maybe when they went to the cylinder deactivation design around 2007 the PCV valve was integrated into the inside of the valve cover on the drivers side. No longer the inline valve of old.

OP
OP
adventurenali92

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am not 100% sure when they changed it but I think maybe when they went to the cylinder deactivation design around 2007 the PCV valve was integrated into the inside of the valve cover on the drivers side. No longer the inline valve of old.
Before that because my truck is a 2006 with no cylinder deactivation, and now that the snowdrifter and hihoesilver have chimed in I’m positive it’s integrated into my valve cover and can’t be changed separately.... ugh...

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Before that because my truck is a 2006 with no cylinder deactivation, and now that the snowdrifter and hihoesilver have chimed in I’m positive it’s integrated into my valve cover and can’t be changed separately.... ugh...

KREEN treatment and a catch can!

Hey, wait a minute! Didn't you just do your valve covers?!

dnt1010

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An aftermarket replacement valve cover is not that big of a cost item I think when I bought mine it was 40 bones or so. I changed mine out on the 2009 6.0 hybrid in about 1.5 hours. They upgraded the design in like 2010 because the PCV system was causing excessive oil consumption in some cases or so they said. After I got it off I realized it already had the new design valve cover (I bought a used tahoe) so I still have some oil consumption issues but at 214k I am not complaining too much...............

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
An aftermarket replacement valve cover is not that big of a cost item I think when I bought mine it was 40 bones or so. I changed mine out on the 2009 6.0 hybrid in about 1.5 hours. They upgraded the design in like 2010 because the PCV system was causing excessive oil consumption in some cases or so they said. After I got it off I realized it already had the new design valve cover (I bought a used tahoe) so I still have some oil consumption issues but at 214k I am not complaining too much...............

His is the previous gen.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trickystick19