2005 Tahoe winding sound while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cit916

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe started making this sound out of nowhere last week. While at idle, there is no noise, but as soon as I start moving, you can hear sort of a winding up sound. To me, it sounds like the noise is coming from the front end of the truck, but I'm not 100% sure. As far as how it drives, it seems normal. 2005 4.8 2WD. Can someone help me identify what it could possibly be.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

I cannot personally help you with your question; however, other members on this Forum that are much more knowledgeable than me in this area will chime in.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
U- joint, wheel hub, diff..? I think you gotta get under there, and move some things around to check for play. Also get the wheels off the ground, and check at 12 & 6 o’clock for any play. Try to move the wheel by pushing / pulling at 12 & 6 o’clock. Hopefully not a transmission noise. How’s the fluid look?

Oh, and welcome to the best forum on the internet, from East Texas.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

Like what @strutaeng said. Can you get the noise to change in any way when you are driving straight and then move steering wheel to 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock? Crawl under and check for driveline looseness. Reach in rear diff fill hole and get a sample of what the fluid looks like.

To me, it sounded like an a/c clutch making noise but if does not do at idle and a/c is not on.....I am guessing. I am guessing it does not do it while accel sitting still and have to be moving. It is loud enough that I think it would be pretty easy to pin point. Check for bearing play like @Sam Harris said and if you are careful enough, can set on stands and accel while in air.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019