2005 Tahoe overheating at idle (e-fans?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pesti13nce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My Tahoe just recently started over heating at idle. I can not get the e fans to turn on when the AC is operational (one fan should kick on).
The temp jumps and pings the gauge then after air rolls over the Rad (driving) it cools back down.

I replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor (thinking that might be an issue). I threw two codes for fan 1 and fan 2 circuit relay error codes so I replaced those 2 as well along with the 2 40amps in their as well and still nothing...I'm stumped... I need help guys/gals the connectors also were not loose..

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Tahoe just recently started over heating at idle. I can not get the e fans to turn on when the AC is operational (one fan should kick on).
The temp jumps and pings the gauge then after air rolls over the Rad (driving) it cools back down.

I replaced the thermostat and coolant temp sensor (thinking that might be an issue). I threw two codes for fan 1 and fan 2 circuit relay error codes so I replaced those 2 as well along with the 2 40amps in their as well and still nothing...I'm stumped... I need help guys/gals the connectors also were not loose..

The circuit code doesn't necessarily mean the relay is bad, it means there is a problem with the circuit. Could be open somewhere, could be shorted. You need to do the tests that the code calls for. That should lead you to what is actually wrong. A factory shop manual is really a pre-requisite for working on modern vehicles. http://www.alldatadiy.com/ is an online resource, but I much prefer to have the paper manuals on hand.

Good luck!

OP
OP
P

Pesti13nce

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
P0480 and a p0481 fan 1 and 2 circuit malfunction, I tired tracing grounds and maybe a wire chafe or something but I got nothing.. Guess it's time to go to the shop at least I know they aren't fried since I got them to run jumped...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roady24