2003 GMC Yukon Brake Probleem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nyjetfan21

Reaction score
I have a 2003 GMC Yukon 5.3 L. Unfortunately yesterday my brakes failed on me and the pedal went all the way to the floor. I recently had the whole brake line repaired over a year ago on the drivers side. When I got out of the truck to look I seen fluid dripping behind my rear driver side tire. Last year when the line was replaced it was pieced together so I wouldn’t have to get the flaring tool does anybody have any suggestions on where I can buy a whole new brake line kit and the best way I can replace this without having any more issues thank you

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You may just need to tighten a fitting on the line. Easy fix if that is all that is needed. Make sure you use a brake line wrench. Fill with fluid and have someone push lightly on the brake pedal and see exactly where it is coming out.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For the love of god ...."when the line was replaced it was pieced together so I wouldn’t have to get the flaring tool". STOP USING COMPRESSION FITTINGS MADE FOR WATER LINES on hydraulic brake lines before you kill yourself or someone else! Our C and K chassis were equipped with stainless steel brake lines OEM and as youve found out do not last along time when subjected to road salt in the winter. Usually make it about 10years or so before leaks start up. You probably have a leak in the line that feeds the rear and connects at the Y above the axle and connects to a fitting at the rear drivers side tire just above the axle. The whole set runs a little over $100 and is made of nickel-copper and it is more corrosive resistant than stainless. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...1415551,brake+&+wheel+hub,hydraulic+line,1820

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For the love of god ...."when the line was replaced it was pieced together so I wouldn’t have to get the flaring tool". STOP USING COMPRESSION FITTINGS MADE FOR WATER LINES on hydraulic brake lines before you kill yourself or someone else! Our C and K chassis were equipped with stainless steel brake lines OEM and as youve found out do not last along time when subjected to road salt in the winter. Usually make it about 10years or so before leaks start up. You probably have a leak in the line that feeds the rear and connects at the Y above the axle and connects to a fitting at the rear drivers side tire just above the axle. The whole set runs a little over $100 and is made of nickel-copper and it is more corrosive resistant than stainless. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...1415551,brake+&+wheel+hub,hydraulic+line,1820

When you say pieced together, what exactly does that mean?

I’m assuming he is referring to using pre-flared brake line that you can form to your needs. It isn’t as clean as a vehicle specific line but it is functional and a little better than water line compression fittings. Had to use them on my 1976 Impala when I was in college as no one had a line set for it. Still have the $1.99 tube bender I bought to do it almost 30 years ago.

https://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...rmour-steel-brake-line/85322_148248_3056?aqs=

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m assuming he is referring to using pre-flared brake line that you can form to your needs. It isn’t as clean as a vehicle specific line but it is functional and a little better than water line compression fittings. Had to use them on my 1976 Impala when I was in college as no one had a line set for it. Still have the $1.99 tube bender I bought to do it almost 30 years ago.

https://m.autozone.com/brakes-and-t...rmour-steel-brake-line/85322_148248_3056?aqs=
Did you realize that water lines and fittings are rated for 10 or 20 psi and brake lines and fittings, aka hydraulic lines are rated in 100s of psi some even in the thousands. See whats wrong there.

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you realize that water lines and fittings are rated for 10 or 20 psi and brake lines and fittings, aka hydraulic lines are rated in 100s of psi some even in the thousands. See whats wrong there.

Having designed various hydraulic systems in my engineering career I am well aware of the difference in pressure rating requirements for both water lines and hydraulic brake lines. The product I posted a link to from Autozone is actually rated far 12500 psi which should be more than sufficient for a brake system.
upload_2019-10-23_22-26-25.png
That being said, we are simply making assumptions about what the OP used to “piece” his line together as they have not responded to our questions/comments regarding what they have.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score

Having designed various hydraulic systems in my engineering career I am well aware of the difference in pressure rating requirements for both water lines and hydraulic brake lines. The product I posted a link to from Autozone is actually rated far 12500 psi which should be more than sufficient for a brake system.
View attachment 233160
That being said, we are simply making assumptions about what the OP used to “piece” his line together as they have not responded to our questions/comments regarding what they have.

Your turn Rock. Just sharing info, not shade.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DB1337

Latest posts