2002 Yukon Denali hvac module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new hvac module and they're no longer available from GM. Doorman makes some. Are they any good? Does the non-automatic version work in place of the automatic one?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a new hvac module and they're no longer available from GM. Doorman makes some. Are they any good? Does the non-automatic version work in place of the automatic one?
no you can't switch "types" the harness is not the same it won't even plug in.
your options are get lucky and find a nos unit that may pop up online like ebay or get a decent looing used one or a dorman

*sometimes you can take it apart and clean up the contacts inside but the plastic gets brittle and if you are not really really carefull something will just break.

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best bet is to search the junkyard, or buy a Dorman unit from Rockauto or something. Keep in mind, that you don't HAVE to get the AC board from another Denali. Some of the higher LT trim Tahoes and Suburbans had that same Automatic AC control panel, as did the Yukons. Since you have a 2002, you will need to get a AC panel from a 2000-2002. 03 and up is different.
Just make SURE it's the Automatic climate control panel, the one that looks EXACTLY like yours. If you grab a different panel hoping that it will work, you will be S.O.L because it will DEFINITELY nor work, it won't even plug in.

OP
OP
MechanicMike

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I can't switch the vent modes. I installed a new mode door actuator last year which did not solve the issue. I can command the vent modes with a scan tool. I tried resetting the system by pulling the fuse which doesn't work. Also, temperature randomly changes itself.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't switch the vent modes. I installed a new mode door actuator last year which did not solve the issue. I can command the vent modes with a scan tool. I tried resetting the system by pulling the fuse which doesn't work. Also, temperature randomly changes itself.
the mode switch on the control is a copper-on-copper contact strip, over time it gets this black color buildup on it and this makes it loose electrical contact. if you still have one of the controlers you have tried you can try opening it up and clean that contact surface and put it back together and that should fix your issue.
you have to open it from the backside, you will see clips holding it together you need some pick tools, there may be some screws also it's been a long time since I opened one up
if a clip or something breaks that shouldn't be a fail you will just have to use some glue, expoxy or a small screw if it won't stay together afterwards.
just be patient and don't force anything and you can likely get one working again.
there may even be some youtube video's out there of people that have opened one up.

OP
OP
MechanicMike

MechanicMike

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the mode switch on the control is a copper-on-copper contact strip, over time it gets this black color buildup on it and this makes it loose electrical contact. if you still have one of the controlers you have tried you can try opening it up and clean that contact surface and put it back together and that should fix your issue.
you have to open it from the backside, you will see clips holding it together you need some pick tools, there may be some screws also it's been a long time since I opened one up
if a clip or something breaks that shouldn't be a fail you will just have to use some glue, expoxy or a small screw if it won't stay together afterwards.
just be patient and don't force anything and you can likely get one working again.
there may even be some youtube video's out there of people that have opened one up.
Thanks for the tips. I think I will give it a try. This could save me $500.