2002 Tahoe slow starting!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
keenan

keenan

Reaction score
you were trying to test fuel pressure?
No, I just read somewhere that the regulator can cause these problems and to check if the regulator is faulty you take the rubber cap off and if you see fuel that means it is bad.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
keenan

keenan

Reaction score
I haven't came across this,but i have heard of this. are you planning on a used one to try it ?
I don't know yet. I am going to try a little more research on it before I buy anything.

#1taho

5150TAHO
Reaction score
test fuel pressue. that will need to be done also. see what you have and see if it holds. if it drops quick it will need a fuel pump. 50-60psi if i remember correctly is what it should be.

SLCHOE

ASE Master Certified + (L1)
Reaction score
YES. If you pull off the vacuum line and fuel comes out of the regulator is 100% BAD.

Replace it.

The fuel pressure regulator is basically a valve that opens and closes but instead of a lever to make it switch, it uses engine vacuum and a diaphragm connected to the valve to perform the same action. The diaphragm normally is a barrier between both sides (fuel side and vacuum side) like the seal in a faucet knob. If you are getting fuel out of the regulator from the vacuum port after you pull the vacuum line off, you have a bad (torn) diaphragm.

OP
OP
keenan

keenan

Reaction score
YES. If you pull off the vacuum line and fuel comes out of the regulator is 100% BAD.

Replace it.

The fuel pressure regulator is basically a valve that opens and closes but instead of a lever to make it switch, it uses engine vacuum and a diaphragm connected to the valve to perform the same action. The diaphragm normally is a barrier between both sides (fuel side and vacuum side) like the seal in a faucet knob. If you are getting fuel out of the regulator from the vacuum port after you pull the vacuum line off, you have a bad (torn) diaphragm.
Thanks for the info. I will probably replace it tomorrow or Monday. I will update if the problem is fixed or not. Thanks!

SLCHOE

Reaction score
Her's the step by step:
VvJeyg4.png

sQYBO8B.png

zHDWBmr.png

SLCHOE

Reaction score
YouTube videos are great (and I subscribe to some great guys) but just make sure you don't miss some crucial steps like lubricating the o-ring before installing the new regulator or you will have to do it again. ;)

It's cake really. Have fun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny