2001 Silverado trans hangs when real cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1yesfan

Reaction score
As many of us have had this year so far, VERY cold weather. I have a 01 Silverado 5.3 with 166k. The trans fluid has been changed once its life that I am aware of, don't recall at what mileage. Seems now after sitting out all night in any temps below 15 degrees when you drive off the trans does not shift as soon as it would if it were like 25 or warmer. Seems that it wants to hold first gear longer then normal. So I drive it slow for about half a mile before it will start shift normally. Can I chalk this up to just the cold temps?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
As many of us have had this year so far, VERY cold weather. I have a 01 Silverado 5.3 with 166k. The trans fluid has been changed once its life that I am aware of, don't recall at what mileage. Seems now after sitting out all night in any temps below 15 degrees when you drive off the trans does not shift as soon as it would if it were like 25 or warmer. Seems that it wants to hold first gear longer then normal. So I drive it slow for about half a mile before it will start shift normally. Can I chalk this up to just the cold temps?

Mine is the same way. I'm blaming the cold.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
I will get in it and let it run for a few seconds, not minutes but I do take it easy on it driving up the street to the main road. I will let it do that first cold shift (staying out of it till it shifts) then I will get on it more and it is shifting normally. Even when it is warm out and all is ok I take it easy on it. At 166k and running well and rust free I want this darn truck to last as long as I can.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it gets this cold a lot where you live you could buy a pan heater, its pretty much a heat mat. they got em for oil pans and tranny pans.

OP
OP

1yesfan

Reaction score
this is not typical for Cincy for the most part. Just let it run a little longer before I go and still take it easy.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Odd My tahoe and yukon both DID NOT do this when it was -8 deg here last week or so. This morning it was -7 and NOPE still didnt do it. You have a valve hanging up in your valve body. It will probably need reamed (The bore) and a new valve installed. Have them do that when they have the pan dropped during your second fluid change ever. All it takes is the right valve to hang up, long enough at the wrong time and you just made yourself an appointment for tranny rebuild because you just burnt up clutches and warped the steel plates.

bigmike41

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Mine did the same thing some weeks later it went out it's a warning don't blame cold weather it's telling you ivI'had enough I hate these 4l60e transmission

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Those seals are probably old and they contract when it's cold. Does it shift as normal once its within operating temp? Anyways how many miles have you had it for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts