2000 Tahoe waterpump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to replace my 2000 tahoe 5.3 waterpump. This will be the 2nd replacement pump on the truck. It has 250,000 mi. I want this pump to be the last pump. I didnt install the last one but would assume it was from a auto store. Do any of you guys think it is worth spending the extra money to go with a factory GM waterpump or do you think the best NAPA pump would be sufficiant?. I have never bought a pump from the dealer and would guess they are no better than a auto store pump would anyone disagree?. Whats the deal with some inlet size being different than what the original was? anyone ever heard of this? I went to the Dealer and was told it could be one of two sizes depending on if it was replaced or not is this correct?.

Resident Psycho

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You will be fine using an aftermarket pump. I am a Honda tech (17 years now) and just put an aftermarket pump on. I think my cost was $140 for the part (dealer was a little over $200), but I get dealer cost on parts. One suggestion though...Get a thermostat for it also since it bolts on the water pump...And the pump is easy to replace also.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can't beat a lifetime warranty on an aftermarket pump.....Does GM offer that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz