RPM goes up and down

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vitk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello All. I have 2012 Tahoe with 5.3 engine about 15K on it and i noticed a behavior that i haven't seen in any other vehicle owned before. When stopped at traffic light with transmission in drive RPM fluctuates close to 500, when i plug OBD it show going from 510 to 550 most of the time with very rare dropping to 450-470. Doesn't really feels like misfire. When transmission is in neutral or park RPM are between 595-610. Should it be considered normal for this engine?
Thanks
Vit

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Should it be? No. Is it normal according to Chevy? Yes.

Lots of people on here have the same thing going on, myself included. I've never had any real issues crop up because of it. It's really nothing more than an annoyance.

OP
OP
V

vitk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thank you very much for clarification, sometimes the only thing they care about to reduce service costs :( i would agree it's mostly just an annoyance but if to look from other point it could be another indicator that something is wrong that we cannot use here

TheFuzz

Idiot Police
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true. The important thing is to learn what is "normal" for your particular vehicle, then if something deviates from that point you know you have a problem. This is why I keep track of my gas mileage. It's not because I want to see how much MPG I can eek out of my truck...it's so that if the mileage drastically drops all of a sudden, I have a known baseline to go off of.

Welcome to the forum by the way, Vit. I see you signed up a while ago, thanks for coming out of the shadows and posting. :D Where are you from? Post some pics of your truck when you get a chance. :cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greta Faust