16 Tahoe dead battery. Won’t jump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. My apologies if this has been covered. I searched by didn’t see anything. 2016 Tahoe 6000 miles. Has been sitting for a week and won’t crank from a dead battery. Hooked my duramax to it to get the battery up to 13 volts. Still won’t crank nor turn over. Here’s where it gets weird.
The interior lights, door dinger, and brake lights work fine. The vehicle won’t switch on to acc, or on to get to a point of cranking. Nor will the retractable side steps go down. I feel like i have a circuit of the vehicle that I’ve lost. All of the terminals on the fuse box on top of the battery have 13 volts and good grounds.
When I initially got in the car with the manual key (because the fob wouldn’t unlock it) the alarm went off briefly. I’m thinking I either have a passlock issue or the Tahoe is not communicating with the key fobs inside the car. It is push button start. Doors do lock and unlock with fob. Any help would be awesome. I’m trying to avoid a rollback bill to my dealer an hour away if possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds like alarm issue.
once you have cables on from truck & lights come on... can you try key fob?
lock & then unlock
then try starting...

eta:
i had a similar issue w/ a mustang
& a coworker had a similar issue w/ an rx7 w/ lt1 swap

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you load test the trucks battery? It may say 13 volts but could be a bad cell. I would put a new battery in it, factory battery Is prob shot. A low or failing battery will make all the electronics go funky. Even using the key to unlock the door you still need the fob to disable the alarm....:2cents::imo:

nitehawk

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Place the ftransmitter inside the slot located in the top right side of the middle console, there should be a little pocket the you can use I case the battery on the transmitter is low. . I had similar problem with my Yukon and this worked for me

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve tried the fob in the slot. I think that only comes into play when the fobs battery is dead. I haven’t done a load test. I’m thinking the battery is dead too, I just wanted to be able to get it to the dealer under it’s own power as opposed to having it towed. I’m betting on it being a security issue is why I can’t crank it.

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your Tahoe is fairly new. Wouldn't this be covered under warranty? Can you call the dealer and tell them to come get it and let them figure it out?

OP
OP
W

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea it’s 6 months old. They won’t tow it to my dealer, only the closest to the house

GTNator

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea it’s 6 months old. They won’t tow it to my dealer, only the closest to the house

How far away is the nearest dealer? If the dealer won’t come get it, sometimes your insurance has a provision that allows tow up to 75 miles away. Or do you have AAA?

Another question to ask the dealer is about “road side assistance”. Most new vehicles have this but you have to ask specifically for it. Otherwise they’ll just say “bring it in”.

If this was me, I would let the dealer trouble shoot such a new vehicle.

OP
OP
W

wade_660

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Figured out the problem. One of the fuse terminals on top of the battery went bad. It’s the far left one that controls the under hood fuse box. I’m going to move this wire to a spare terminal and hope it’ll get me to the dealer. The one that went bad is 175a and I’m going to put it on a 125a and try not to run anything other than the essentials.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GCL24