15, 16 vs 17 tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GusSanchez300

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to hear some of your opinions.

I really feel tat the engine and drivability is completely different, is much smoother accelerating, shifting or consistency while driving. Could it be the difference from LS to LT? I don't think it is but i could be wrong.

Thanks in advance

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to hear some of your opinions.

I really feel tat the engine and drivability is completely different, is much smoother accelerating, shifting or consistency while driving. Could it be the difference from LS to LT? I don't think it is but i could be wrong.

Thanks in advance
Can you please elaborate on your comment?

OP
OP
GusSanchez300

GusSanchez300

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I put, drives different, is smoother, shift different. I feel like the truck is more responsive but smoother when accelerating, the 16 feels rough.

The air suspension in the back makes a huge difference.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are you asking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
GusSanchez300

GusSanchez300

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the truck as far as mechanical, was there an update on the 5.3 engine or transmission?

I drove both years and the 17 is by far much smoother than the 16.

Now it could be all in my head but that's how it felt.

Agent WD-40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there a difference in the truck as far as mechanical, was there an update on the 5.3 engine or transmission?

Did both vehicles have the same wheels and tires? If one had 22" and another 18" that could certainly impact the ride.

I've also noticed the long wheelbase models (Suburban, Yukon XL, etc) seem to ride smoother than the short ones (Tahoe, Yukon, etc).

Do the 5.3 V8's have the 8 speed now? That might also contribute to the difference. Not sure if they do have the 8 speeds now though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GusSanchez300

GusSanchez300

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The both vehicles have the same wheels and tires? If one had 22" and another 18" that could certainly impact the ride.

I've also noticed the long wheelbase models (Suburban, Yukon XL, etc) seem to ride smoother than the short ones (Tahoe, Yukon, etc).

Do the 5.3 V8's have the 8 speed now? That might also contribute to the difference. Not sure if they do have the 8 speeds now though.

I believe it is a 6 speed and one has 18 and the 2017 has 20.

Three engine feels just so smooth, I guess it could be that is brand new, but I'm definitely happy with the difference lol

sickk23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 5.3 still only has a 6 speed. And the 6.2 just mysteriously went from an 8 speed to 10 speed.

Could be different programming of things. Who really knows, the little details are usually kept from the general public.

The rear load leveling feature does nothing for ride. There’s still a spring and a shock, it’s not an air ride. MRC makes a HUGE difference though.

Joe E

TYF Newbie
Reaction score

I do know that the 17 has the V8-V4 engine mode, so wonder if that's what you are feeling?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dustpan

Latest posts