10 speed total failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scrap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
2018 Premier, 70K miles, original owner. Started slipping and engaging with a thud from a stop. Then same between shifts, then really whining from a stop. Dealer installed factory re-man for $5,000.00. And no loaner! Said they only had loaners for warranty work, what a crappy dealer. Said it would cost at least four grand to repair, 10K past warranty. Should I have taken it to an independent? I didn't have the luxury of another ride except one of my motorcycles. Only other time I have had a tranny go was in another GM product, worst POS I ever owned, Pontiac Montana, purchased new, tranny replaced under warranty. With 65K, threw a rod!! Who the heck throws a rod in a Mini Van! The only other time that has happened to me was in a 14 year old, $100.00 6 cyl, 59 Ford F-100 that used a quart every 100 miles, but a modern era car, seriously, WTF. Why do I keep buying American cars?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2018 Premier, 70K miles, original owner. Started slipping and engaging with a thud from a stop. Then same between shifts, then really whining from a stop. Dealer installed factory re-man for $5,000.00. And no loaner! Said they only had loaners for warranty work, what a crappy dealer. Said it would cost at least four grand to repair, 10K past warranty. Should I have taken it to an independent? I didn't have the luxury of another ride except one of my motorcycles. Only other time I have had a tranny go was in another GM product, worst POS I ever owned, Pontiac Montana, purchased new, tranny replaced under warranty. With 65K, threw a rod!! Who the heck throws a rod in a Mini Van! The only other time that has happened to me was in a 14 year old, $100.00 6 cyl, 59 Ford F-100 that used a quart every 100 miles, but a modern era car, seriously, WTF. Why do I keep buying American cars?
You got a good deal from the dealer even without the rental. Change the fluid every 40K miles at most.

We had 3 Montanas and they served us well for over 20 years. Never threw a rod though!

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer on the trans for sure. 5k is a lot, but it seems as though there may have been some customer support there. It stinks the 100k power train warranty isn't factory anymore. I would've been on the horn with GM for sure on that one, especially if you had prior maintenance records (unsure on that detail though).

As for the Montana. I wonder if you had a leaking intake gasket and it took out a bearing? I did TONS of those under warranty back in 2002-03. Had a zipper on them, but still a stupid failure due to crappy gaskets and dexcool that eats them.

OP
OP
S

scrap

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Change the fluid? OK, will do that when the time comes. No dipstick on the transmission, is that correct?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Change the fluid? OK, will do that when the time comes. No dipstick on the transmission, is that correct?
It might not but if it were mine I'd put one in or figure which way to service it. I don't NEED my dipstick to replace the transmission fluid but having it there makes it convenient.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That us correct. One of GMs ways to make you have to come to them for service. It has a full level plug on the side of the trans that will burp out fluid when at the operating temp after a service. PITA from what I've heard, especially if twits a 4wd model.

Gone are the days of self service. Assinine

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076

Latest posts