10 bolt rear end, issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Newbie here, found it researching stuff for my 99 2dr tahoe.

Anyone here had any issues with there 10 bolt rear ends?

If so what mods are you runnin, taller tires, or upgraded motor and tranny, etc?

Thanks for the input, i hope to be a good addition to the site, I got a few write ups coming soon.

RS

bai78

Surviving
Reaction score
No issues so far & that is with 4.56 gears, 315/75/16 tires on 16x10 rims, as well as a true trac.

Other mods in the sig.

See you around town.

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
Running 33's with the Stock G80 10 bolt. No problems yet, but the G80 is known for problems and grenading. After mine gives out, it will be time for some new gears and a detroit locker. If you have an open rear end, then all you need is a lunchbox locker (drop in) like the powertrax no slip or detroit locker, and you will be good to go!

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, the weakest link in the 8.6" 10 bolt is probably the G80.
There are a couple things you can do to make the 10-bolt stronger. You can weld a bead all the way around the axle tubes where they go into the diff housing. Stock, the tubes only have a couple large spot welds each, so welding the tubes all the way around will help. You can also add a beefier cover with studs that press up against the bearing caps and to help the case from deforming under extremely heavy loads.
The spider gears in my stock lsd (G80) shattered, running behind a s/c'ed engine for about 20k miles. A buddy of mine has a 99 Tahoe on 33s with 4.10s and busted the spider gears in his, and he's still running a stock engine with only intake and exhaust upgrades. When I rebuilt my 10-bolt, everything looked good aside from the lsd that grenaded.
Unless you're putting out an insane amount of power to the wheels, the 8.6" 10-bolt assembly as a whole isn't as bad as some people make it out to be. Of course, it isn't as strong as a 9", Dana, or GM 12/14 bolt, but sufficient enough to hold a decent amount of power.
And welcome to the site, btw:cheers:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I stripped 5 - 7 teeth off the factory 3.73s just recently. I beat the truck, it had 242K miles, mild engine and rebuilt tranny.

99COOP

Retired
Reaction score
Weakest links are the stock carrier, c-clip design, shafts, smaller brakes, and lack of pinion support. But plenty of people will find it sufficient for their applications.

OP
OP
R

RSTahoe99

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for all the input and welcome's, the site isn't emailing me when someone reply's so i kind of forgot about this one.

Currently I am running the stock 3.42s peg leggin. I am turning 257hp at the wheels and i don't think my stock 10 bolt (148K miles) is going to hold up much longer.

I also have future plans of 500hp at the flywheel and don't want to be replacing rear ends again. So i am trying to do it right so i won't be worrying about it. If a 10 bolt with trutrac or similar and some lower gears is all i need then great, but again i don't want to have to replace it again, if it wont hold up to the future hp numbers.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never had any problems yet. Just finally got rid of the g80, replaced with a truetrac and some 4.56 gears.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willabea