'08 Yukon Denali: NEW alternator installed, now warning lights for everything are coming on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ennis_D

Reaction score
Afternoon ladies and gentleman,

As of Sunday 10/25 I installed a NEW, not reman, CarQuest 160 amp alternator in the wife's '08 Yukon Denali. Had a message on the dash to service charging system so I drove to Advance Auto for them to check the battery and alternator. Battery had sticker on it from 1/14 so I had doubts the battery was the culprit. Testing concluded that the battery was a touch low but that the alternator was so low it would not prompt the machine into the second step after battery testing. Purchased and new unit and off I went to the house to install.

Installed the new alternator, started the car and engine and check charging system lights went off in a minute or two. Drove fine Sunday evening as well as yesterday. Today, 10/27, wife calls just before lunch and tells me there are numerous warning lights coming on on the dash. Tire pressure, traction, stability, etc.

Tell me guys what is causing this? Could it be that the old alternator wore the current battery down to where the minor change in voltage is messing with the computers on the car? Is there an issue with the alternator that I installed being a 160amp instead of a 145amp (there were those two options in Advance Auto's system)? Is there some system reset that I need to complete? Could the new alternator be a dud?

I am not 100% familiar with the newer vehicles, esp GMC/Chevy when it comes to things of this nature.

Could someone give me some insight to my issue here? I would like to take the truck back to Advance and have the battery and alternator tested again today but its raining cats and dogs here until tomorrow morning. I will run it by there tomorrow after work.

Thanks in advance guys and gals! I greatly appreciate the help!

Last edited:

WisconsinHick1

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Was the "new" alternator a true new one or a reman one? I have not had good luck with anything reman for any vehicle I've owned.

OP
OP
E

Ennis_D

Reaction score
It was new. Reman was $145 and new was $160. For the price difference and assurance I went with new.​

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is NO new Delco alternator in aftermarket auto parts, even in GM dealer. The NEW alt must be a Made in China one. The way to verify alt is NEW or rebuilt one is to look at DELCO logo on the unit. If there NO Deloc logo, the unit must be a NEW one from non-GM authorized factory. But nowadays, even it is a Delco rebuild unit, the internal parts are from China.

jz57
Rebuild alternator/starter for 20 years

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As long as you can crank the engine and run it, the battery is in good condition.

For you situation, check and clean all ground wires/straps inside engine bay, clean the battery post terminals, and clean the positive cable to alternator

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n