08 suburban LTZ 5.3 misfire at idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response when head was off all cylinders on the bank were similar. I did clean them up with a brass wire wheel. I attached some before and afters. Motor just turned 201k cylinder walls were great still had some cross hatchings,PO travel the Midwest so he stated all highway miles from when he purchased at 60k. I will look into VLOM cost any suggestions were to get one a good cost? Also any way to test the vlom?

All sounds good. I tore mine down to delete AFM right at 200K. The cylinders looked great and all the compression numbers were very good. The VLOM is the control center for the AFM and the first design had flaws which GM greatly improved on. They also improved the design of the AFM lifters.

I don't have the part number for the updated VLOM. But, I'd definitely get a GM Genuine and not aftermarket. The extra cost far outweighs the risk. The VLOM failing and having the lifters pumped or collapsed when they should or shouldn't be is how these engines experience minor damage such as a bent push rod or get completely destroyed by bent valves and cracked pistons.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to update the group and see if I’m on the right path. So with vlom plugged in I get the cy 7 misfire and can see them counting on my top don scanner. When I set the rpm to 1k no misfires drove around then block a few time no misfire during acceleration when at a stop I get misfire. Only on 7. When I unplug the vlom and just let idle I get no misfire on counter just a rough idle and the codes for vlom. I am able to actuate the dod cylinders on my scanner and they all click and I can feel the difference in idle once active and not.

My guess is the vlom has clogged ports or something wrong so at idle there’s not enough oil pressure, at or over 1k rpm the pressure builds enough to get through the ports which clears the misfire's. BTW I just changed the oil sending unit and screen with a fresh oil change on Friday due to low oil pressure msg coming on.

So would u swap vlom with this info?
Also I do notice my oil pressure goes down to just below 20 psi on the gauge at operating temps, cold start is 50+ psi then drops normal driving stays around 40ish.
I’ve seen a few post saying this is common and my buddy’s truck at work has the same oil pressure as mine and has had no issue

I'd definitely swap the VLOM. Again, be sure you get the updated one. This may even improve your oil pressures. Although, they're fine as-is.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Hey all

Just wanted to update install new vlom and now no change but now I get more random misfires across all cylinders but cy7 still has the most. And oil pressure is hanging at about 10psi at O.T I did just run it on the highway for a good 40 miles and she drove great no misses but once I stop I see the misses on the counter and oil pressure drops. No CEL or track control. But she’s running louder now may be time for new engine.
Hears a short I created

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all

Just wanted to update install new vlom and now no change but now I get more random misfires across all cylinders but cy7 still has the most. And oil pressure is hanging at about 10psi at O.T I did just run it on the highway for a good 40 miles and she drove great no misses but once I stop I see the misses on the counter and oil pressure drops. No CEL or track control. But she’s running louder now may be time for new engine.
Hears a short I created

Dammit. I was really hoping it was just the classic VLOM failure. That really sounds like a lifter or something in the valve train. Now I'm wondering if the old VLOM failed and took out a lifter and just did the same thing to the new lifter(s). Or, one of your new components is defective. Popped the rocker covers off yet to check the springs? Get a breaker bar and large socket and turn the engine while watching all the movements of the rockers. They should all cycle up and down the same amounts. Did you look at the cam lobes while you had the VLOM off? Any glitter in the oil on the dipstick?

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Dammit. I was really hoping it was just the classic VLOM failure. That really sounds like a lifter or something in the valve train. Now I'm wondering if the old VLOM failed and took out a lifter and just did the same thing to the new lifter(s). Or, one of your new components is defective. Popped the rocker covers off yet to check the springs? Get a breaker bar and large socket and turn the engine while watching all the movements of the rockers. They should all cycle up and down the same amounts. Did you look at the cam lobes while you had the VLOM off? Any glitter in the oil on the dipstick?
Yes I did check the cam lobes while vlom was off with my boroscoped all look good doesn’t look like it’s getting eaten up, also pulled VC prior to vlom replace with engine running and verified all lifters are functional no dead ones and oil is clean no glitter.
I’m guessing it’s probably something with the cylinder possibly a hairline crack something I did wrong with the install of the pickup tube Oring or just a bad oil pump from the manufacturer.
Here’s a cold start video doesn’t sound as bad with OP just when it drops to below 15psi she starts chattering, with rpm over 1k the chatter is minimal but still has somewhat of a tick. Idk I’m at a lost now.
I may do a last ditch effort and pull the pan and oil pump just to see and possibly get the part warranty and if that doesn’t fix I’ll just pull the engine and find something used which I’m trying to avoid.
Again it only misfires when OP is below 15psi and operating temps once moving rides fine.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I did check the cam lobes while vlom was off with my boroscoped all look good doesn’t look like it’s getting eaten up, also pulled VC prior to vlom replace with engine running and verified all lifters are functional no dead ones and oil is clean no glitter.
I’m guessing it’s probably something with the cylinder possibly a hairline crack something I did wrong with the install of the pickup tube Oring or just a bad oil pump from the manufacturer.
Here’s a cold start video doesn’t sound as bad with OP just when it drops to below 15psi she starts chattering, with rpm over 1k the chatter is minimal but still has somewhat of a tick. Idk I’m at a lost now.
I may do a last ditch effort and pull the pan and oil pump just to see and possibly get the part warranty and if that doesn’t fix I’ll just pull the engine and find something used which I’m trying to avoid.
Again it only misfires when OP is below 15psi and operating temps once moving rides fine.

Overfill the oil by 1.5-2 quarts and put your Suburban in a nosedive. See if the idle oil pressure and ticking improves. The lifters are hydraulic so low oil pressure can basically be like they're collapsed. For a regular lifter, this is usually just noisy. An AFM lifter can collapse enough to reduce or stop the valve from opening. Maybe the low pressure and continued operation has damaged an AFM lifter. If a botched O-ring replacement or faulty pump is the cause of the low pressure, that can be fixed easily (but aggravatingly) enough. I'm just thinking you might have subsequent damage. From where did you source and what brand are the lifters you used?

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Overfill the oil by 1.5-2 quarts and put your Suburban in a nosedive. See if the idle oil pressure and ticking improves. The lifters are hydraulic so low oil pressure can basically be like they're collapsed. For a regular lifter, this is usually just noisy. An AFM lifter can collapse enough to reduce or stop the valve from opening. Maybe the low pressure and continued operation has damaged an AFM lifter. If a botched O-ring replacement or faulty pump is the cause of the low pressure, that can be fixed easily (but aggravatingly) enough. I'm just thinking you might have subsequent damage. From where did you source and what brand are the lifters you used?
Thanks, I just did 2qt and my driveway is at a 15 deg slope so left at a nose dive and no change in pressure. Parts were kit I found online don’t know the brand 1st mistake form what I’ve read after the fact.
FYI I just reinstalled the old vlom and oil sending unit without the mini screen and seems the misfire went away so I left it running in the drive way for an hour periodically checking and she’s idling smooth just the oil pressure is sitting low see pic but it hasn’t misfired in over an hour idk what i did but she still sounds like a typewriter.IMG_0352.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, I just did 2qt and my driveway is at a 15 deg slope so left at a nose dive and no change in pressure. Parts were kit I found online don’t know the brand 1st mistake form what I’ve read after the fact.
FYI I just reinstalled the old vlom and oil sending unit without the mini screen and seems the misfire went away so I left it running in the drive way for an hour periodically checking and she’s idling smooth just the oil pressure is sitting low see pic but it hasn’t misfired in over an hour idk what i did but she still sounds like a typewriter.View attachment 416705

Oof. Yeah, it's well known that using aftermarket major internal components isn't worth the risk. It's definitely a do it right or do it twice thing. The videos really do sound like a lifter(s), but we still gotta rule out all the other things. Have you verified the spark plugs and wires were tight? Air being pushed out of a cylinder around the spark plug threads can make a clicking sound. The spark arcing from a loose wire can click, too. Both can cause a weak (but not dead) cylinder that might smooth out enough at higher RPM to not be as detectable.

OP
OP
Marbor

Marbor

Reaction score
Thanks haven’t done the spark arc test yet may look unplug everything tomorrow and re tighten/verify all ignition components are sound. See pic now it has multi Misfires at 1st it was just 3-7 after restart it seems to be across the board.IMG_0355.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks haven’t done the spark arc test yet may look unplug everything tomorrow and re tighten/verify all ignition components are sound. See pic now it has multi Misfires at 1st it was just 3-7 after restart it seems to be across the board.View attachment 416742

And this steers me back to an AFM-related issue. AFM cylinders are 1, 4, 6 and 7. Yes, there's a #8, but its count is much lower and could be a false detection from the adjoining cylinders. Or, it's the low oil pressure affecting all the lifters but affecting the AFM ones more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts