07 Yukon random engine noise in rear speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cjsly172

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2007 5.3L GMC Yukon with 64k miles. Recently, I started to experience an annoying high pitched whine that seems to come from the rear speakers. It fluctuates with the engine noise and rises in pitch when I step on the gas. It does this randomly about 1-2 times a month for a few minutes while we’re in the car. The stereo is the stock Bose system. I am the only owner and have not added any aftermarket items/systems. There aren’t any auxiliary items plugged into the interior power ports (no TV system or MP3 player). The noises DOSEN’T go away if I turn down the radio volume or turn off the radio. We are going on a 12 hour trip in a few weeks and I am fearful we may experience this during the trip…

Any thoughts or ideas?

Djay762

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bad ground somewhere. If it is only from the rear speakers I would start there.

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Did someone (maybe your kids) plug in an auxillary cord (or any other audio cord) into the 3.5mm rear headphone jack or RCA audio input? Its the one facing the second row seat on the back of the console.
If so, it may be causing a ground loop whine. Unplugging it from there is the only sure way to get rid of it. Either way, more than likely, the whine is being caused by the rear entertainment components since it is only whining from the rear speakers and not all over.
Also make sure the rear audio input is off when it is not in use. it could cause a whine even if nothing is plugged to it if a rear passenger switches it to a different source from the one on the front stereo.

OP
OP
C

cjsly172

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There wasn't any cell phone traffic when it occurred. The kids are too young to be playing the inputs... so maybe a ground... but I don't even know where to start. Seems weird that the grounding issue would be tied to the engine noise and very intermittent.. like 5 minutes of noise a month right now...

Madadd

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
There wasn't any cell phone traffic when it occurred. The kids are too young to be playing the inputs... so maybe a ground... but I don't even know where to start. Seems weird that the grounding issue would be tied to the engine noise and very intermittent.. like 5 minutes of noise a month right now...

99% of the time when you hear engine noise (which is actually your alternator) in your speakers it is a bad ground as suggested. Do you still have your original battery? I ask because what many people don't realize is the best electrical noise filter in your car is the battery and intermittent engine noise can be signs of a failing battery. An easy way to test is to turn on everything electrical in your car you can think of (interior and exterior lights, wipers, heated seats, etc..) and see if you notice the noise getting louder, if you do then it may be new battery time. After you have eliminated your grounds and your battery the last step would be going directly to the source and having your alternator checked out a failing alternator can also cause the engine noise gremlin.

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have 2007 5.3L GMC Yukon with 64k miles. Recently, I started to experience an annoying high pitched whine that seems to come from the rear speakers. It fluctuates with the engine noise and rises in pitch when I step on the gas. It does this randomly about 1-2 times a month for a few minutes while we’re in the car. The stereo is the stock Bose system. I am the only owner and have not added any aftermarket items/systems. There aren’t any auxiliary items plugged into the interior power ports (no TV system or MP3 player). The noises DOSEN’T go away if I turn down the radio volume or turn off the radio. We are going on a 12 hour trip in a few weeks and I am fearful we may experience this during the trip…

Any thoughts or ideas?

I agree with the others, it sounds like it may be a ground issue. Other possibilities are a short between he radio and amp, twisted drain wire at the center console wire harness, loose terminal connections, etc. These are just suggestions, they are not meant as a diagnosis. Consider consulting with a certified technician for an official diagnosis after inspection.

Please keep us posted.

Louis
GM Customer Service

chade7320

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you ever figure yours out?

Im having the same issue, it started out intermittent but has now been going on for two days solid. I replaced the alternator today that had gone bad and was making an awful racket under the hood and assumed it was just linked to that but it did not help.

I took the advice of a bad battery possibility and took jumper cables and hooked them to my truck battery and suburban battery and problem still persisted. Not sure if thats a legit way to test it but figured my truck battery should filter out noise that my suburban battery wasn't.

Any other solutions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Magnetman59

Latest posts