07 Tahoe LT w/Bose adding an amp with PAC-GM1416

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

09tahoehybrid

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The PAC unit comes with 2 male and 2 female plugs to tie into the wires from the HU to the Bose amp. http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/AOEM-GM1416/1_Instructions/aoem_instructions_120100.pdf Here is the PDF showing the hook up, look at the last section.

Perfect so it wont bypass the stock amp.

What are your thoughts on replacing the mid drivers without adding another amp to power them. Can I just replace the stock mids with any other 6.5" 2 ohm mid driver or is the stock amp too crappy to power them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
MattyZ

MattyZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My rear speakers in the doors were 4ohm so they were easy to replace when one blew awhile back. The front doors I believe are 2ohm and I have heard you can't replace them due to the Bose system, but I haven't tried and haven't looked into it. Something about the tweeters tied into them or something.

Nuttzzy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Perfect so it wont bypass the stock amp.

What are your thoughts on replacing the mid drivers without adding another amp to power them. Can I just replace the stock mids with any other 6.5" 2 ohm mid driver or is the stock amp too crappy to power them?

no it just add's an amp doesn't mess with any of the stock stuff..

Right now I have it hooked up, but nothing connected to the RCA's. My stock stereo and everything else works as normal. I currently have a sub amp hooked up using the hi-low converter, but will try a set of RCA's to see if it cuts out before I add my other amp.

this was my problem i had the harness everything worked EXCEPT the RCAs cause my "premium system" had to end up going with a LOC, so if your gonna try it, double check if the RCA is all you havnt used tested cause thats all that didn't work for me. so you still may have that system and not know.

OP
OP
MattyZ

MattyZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I tested the RCA's right after I installed the PAC unit with my sub amp to make sure they worked. I didn't want to tear apart my doors running new speaker wire and installing the new components to find out they didn't work on the new 4 chan amp.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I realize this is a really old thread, but I have a 2013 Tahoe SSV and bought/installed a GM OEM Nav-Radio for it. I was told by the shop that re-programmed the radio that I had to use a pac1416) for it. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAC-AOEM-GM1416-Buick-Chevrolet-GMC-Amplifier-Add-On-Interface-4-Channel-RCA/152793013770?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649)

I can see how the plugs work on the 'input' end. What I am wondering about is, how do I hook up an amplifier (and what amplifier). The console I have is from a 2011 Silverado and has a Bose amp (can it be used?)

Is there a write up on how to do this (also, in a way that it keeps all the chimes etc)

At first I thought there would be a wiring harness to hook up the console amp to the radio, but I can't seem to find an OEM GM one.

I'll attach pics of the back of the radio and what I have in the console.

Thanks,

Ron

1.jpg nav-radio-harness.jpg IMG_20180210_164458426.jpg 3.jpg

yoshi

Reaction score
Hello,

I realize this is a really old thread, but I have a 2013 Tahoe SSV and bought/installed a GM OEM Nav-Radio for it. I was told by the shop that re-programmed the radio that I had to use a pac1416) for it. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-PAC-AOEM-GM1416-Buick-Chevrolet-GMC-Amplifier-Add-On-Interface-4-Channel-RCA/152793013770?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649)

I can see how the plugs work on the 'input' end. What I am wondering about is, how do I hook up an amplifier (and what amplifier). The console I have is from a 2011 Silverado and has a Bose amp (can it be used?)

Is there a write up on how to do this (also, in a way that it keeps all the chimes etc)

At first I thought there would be a wiring harness to hook up the console amp to the radio, but I can't seem to find an OEM GM one.

I'll attach pics of the back of the radio and what I have in the console.

Thanks,

Ron

View attachment 192764 View attachment 192766 View attachment 192767 View attachment 192768

I would say stick to an aftermarket amp as it will be alot easier to add in. SSV might not have the center console wiring and the stock bose amp uses gm lan as a wake up so even if yo had the center console wiring it would still be missing some other wires that the stock amp uses. so in the end its more work then its worth.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say stick to an aftermarket amp as it will be alot easier to add in. SSV might not have the center console wiring and the stock bose amp uses gm lan as a wake up so even if yo had the center console wiring it would still be missing some other wires that the stock amp uses. so in the end its more work then its worth.

Hello there, thanks for your reaction.

The more I research and read about it, the more difficult it seems. So far I found out I have to replace the "instrument panel harness" and that thing has like two dozen connectors. That and.. no guarantees.

So I pretty much decided to go after market. The shop that reprogrammed my OEM GM Navigation Radio (HDD) advised to get a kit for adding an amplifier., as I mentioned in the post above. (I bought the kit, since it looks like I need it, going aftermarket.)

Now I wonder about two things. What Amp to get (I was told a 4 channel 25W per channel is more than enough) AND, how is it going to be hooked up. Do I need to seriously remodel the Tahoe to hook it up to the speakers? Or is that something that is all a "around the console" plug and play?

thanks!

Ron

yoshi

Reaction score
Hello there, thanks for your reaction.

The more I research and read about it, the more difficult it seems. So far I found out I have to replace the "instrument panel harness" and that thing has like two dozen connectors. That and.. no guarantees.

So I pretty much decided to go after market. The shop that reprogrammed my OEM GM Navigation Radio (HDD) advised to get a kit for adding an amplifier., as I mentioned in the post above. (I bought the kit, since it looks like I need it, going aftermarket.)

Now I wonder about two things. What Amp to get (I was told a 4 channel 25W per channel is more than enough) AND, how is it going to be hooked up. Do I need to seriously remodel the Tahoe to hook it up to the speakers? Or is that something that is all a "around the console" plug and play?

thanks!

Ron

yes a 4 channel amp will be more then fine if you want to keep things simple i would say get a compact amp vs a full size high power one and mount it in the same spot as the factory bose amp is mounted this way everything looks stock. now when it comes to wiring you are gonna need to extend the speaker wiring from the back of the head unit to the amp and you will need to run a new power wire i would suggest 8 Gage.

Ron C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes a 4 channel amp will be more then fine if you want to keep things simple i would say get a compact amp vs a full size high power one and mount it in the same spot as the factory bose amp is mounted this way everything looks stock. now when it comes to wiring you are gonna need to extend the speaker wiring from the back of the head unit to the amp and you will need to run a new power wire i would suggest 8 Gage.

I saw MVI has a harness for that. https://www.gm-navigation.com/shop/2007-14-gmc-hard-disk-drive-hdd-factory-navigation-system/

I like it if I can get something that just plugs in.. and works It makes it a lot easier

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shyan169

Latest posts