06 Tahoe with Gremlin inside OS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe-boneau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, this is weird. Got stranded twice when the "reduced engine power" message came on and I lost my airconditioning and cruise control, check engine light came on and I sat along the hiway waiting for a tow. Waited 10 minutes and everything started working again. A Auto Parts store checked my code - Throttle Manifold - but it recommended replacing battery, the new battery solved the "reduced engine problem". But now, for no reason, while driving, the door locks activate, cruise control turns off, air conditioning shuts off and I get the "traction control dissengaged" warning and the "Check Airbag" light comes on.... but only for a second or two and never all at once. The vehicle seems to "recover" and keep going. What is going on? Has anyone else had these issues - so randomly. I live in the mountains and drive a very bumpy washboardy road for 2 miles to and from the main highway. I suspect I may have loose connections, but where the heck do I start to look. No new codes being given and there is usually no check engine light - or it goes off quickly. Help! I'm lost!

fire730

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe your ignition switch is starting to go out. Do you have a lot of keys on your key ring? Don't laugh I've seen it before. If you have a "weaker" ignition switch and you o over a lot of bumps the swinging of the keys could slightly move it out of position.

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 03 Denali, except for the reduced power issue. The dealer fixed it on their own dime as I bough it used and the problem showed itself on the test drive with the saleswoman in the vehicle. They threw part after part after part at it, I think they went thru the PCM, BCM, gauges and tracing the wiring. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be the BCM that was bad. At least the problem went away after they replaces that, and it's been going good for the past year now. I'd say check all the grounds you can see, especially the one on the back of the drivers side head. The forums I searched while it was in the shop pointed to that as one of the culprits, as well as the BCM.

scrtcell

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Never seen the electrical problem but I removed my throttle body and cleaned it up never had the reduced engine power problem again

OP
OP
T

Tahoe-boneau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I purposely keep only 2 keys on my ring for that reason... had the same issue with an ignition once on another car. My apologies for not being up to speed on acronyms... what is BCM and etc...... My fear is the main computer is going out - does it sound like symptoms of that?

big_b_in_PA

Billy Badass
Reaction score
BCM is your body control module, it's under your center console, and im not sur if there's a way to test it.
PCM or ECM is your main computer, I doubt that's going to be a problem, but you really can't be too sure, I'd imagine if there was a problem with that, it would hold a code and your check engine light or CEL would be on, or you would have a service engine soon on your display.
Aside from checking all the grounds yourself, the stealership or a electronicly advanced mechanic would be your next step.

Best of luck, I hate these little quirks, and I feel your pain man.

OP
OP
T

Tahoe-boneau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks Big B... I do appreciate your time to explain... that gives me something to chase after. Thanks

krt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 03 Denali, except for the reduced power issue. The dealer fixed it on their own dime as I bough it used and the problem showed itself on the test drive with the saleswoman in the vehicle. They threw part after part after part at it, I think they went thru the PCM, BCM, gauges and tracing the wiring. I'm pretty sure it turned out to be the BCM that was bad. At least the problem went away after they replaces that, and it's been going good for the past year now. I'd say check all the grounds you can see, especially the one on the back of the drivers side head. The forums I searched while it was in the shop pointed to that as one of the culprits, as well as the BCM.

had these same kinds of issues on our Saturn and it was the BCM. Sucks because it had to be programmed by the dealer, (unless you have access to a Tech II)

OP
OP
T

Tahoe-boneau

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
FUEL INJECTION THROTTLE CONTROL ACTIVATOR: a possible Solution..... It happened again on saturday, while in town, about 10 times within an hours time period. Reduced engine power, loss of stability control and no airconditioning. Shutting off the vehicle and restarting it would reset it long enough for me to travel about 100 feet. Several times while I was on the side of the road, it took 8 or 10 restarts before it would reset itself and I could drive a bit again. I made it to a parts store and I fortunately still had a Check Engine light on!. The error code said: "Fuel Injection Throttle Control Activator". So, I purchased a tube of dialectric goo and put it on the electrical connector wires that connect to the servo motor on the side of the Throttle Control. Whaaaa-Laaa!... Problem solved!?!?!. Who knows? I made it home, drove it again yesterday - only the Check Airbag light came on just as I got home (this light goes on and off regulary - sometimes) Aaaaarrrrhhhhhhgggggg. Anyway, I am assuming that my issues are all related to driving it on a very washboardy road - loose connections - and this fix may add credibility to my hypothysis.... My only doubt is that the vehicle sat for nearly 20 minutes at the parts store before I applied the goo to the connection, then restarted it. Would the time sitting have anything to do with the FITCA acting up or not? I do hope the electrical goo can solve my problem - a lot better than $350 for a new FITCA. Thanks for all the feedback... any other ideas - does my fix for this make sense or just coincidence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willb

Latest posts