03 tahoe LED dome light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobertWYoung

Reaction score
What kind of LEDs are causing the problem?

Didn't chauncey say his LEDs do not have this issue?

I'm going to make an educated (I am an electronics engineer) guess and say his have a load resistor and the ones causing the issue do not.

Sorry I didn't get the current readings with standard bulbs yet I will try to get to that tonight.

BillBlatt18

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sounds good to me except i spent $100 on these... :crazy:

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

o and btw, i found a visor mod that does work w/LEDs... IMG_20120124_162025.jpg

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 04:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

Perfect vanity mirror mod!!

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What kind of LEDs are causing the problem?

Didn't chauncey say his LEDs do not have this issue?

I'm going to make an educated (I am an electronics engineer) guess and say his have a load resistor and the ones causing the issue do not.

Sorry I didn't get the current readings with standard bulbs yet I will try to get to that tonight.

I don't have this issue because I have a 2000. As far as I know, 2000-2002 don't have this problem.

The relay mod works, but not perfectly. If you want, you can try bringing(just loosely ran, don't have to hide it yet until we can confirm this works) a constant 12v line up to the domes and connect it to the same spot where they are getting power now. But before you connect it, add a diode with the line facing the power source(away from the switch) and add a diode to the original power source too. I'm guessing they only ran one power line up to the domes from the factory.
This is just theory right now, so, wait for Chris to chime in so he can give his input and approval. I don't want to be responsible for screwing up your truck.

Will someone try this?

Has anyone measured the voltage yet when the lights are dim? I am suspecting its to do with the BCM. I know on a lot of GM vehicles, the BCM will "go to sleep" until it senses a door open or an electrical load. I wonder if that's the case here. If so, the BEST solution would be to simply reworked the 12v lead on each light to a constant fused 12v source.

See, even Scotty agrees!

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, my 01 has no problems either. Everybody having trouble is a 03+, which a COMPLETELY redesigned electrical system . Almost everything is databus controlled starting in 2003.

NJTaho

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Oh man thats awesome!! where did you get that?????? I want one for my Tahoe!!!

RobertWYoung

Reaction score
Ok didn't realize you had a different truck.

I got 0.31A on the front, off the door and the button. 0.75A on the dome in the 2nd row and 0.77A on the map lights in the 2nd row.

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If i can find a volt meter, i will try to get you guys voltage readings on my 05 tahoe w/ the led dim problem. (for the new folks i see in this thread now. the more the better)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jb1dsl