0-20w oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From my research the 0w40s especially pennzoil ultra platinum for the 6.4L SRT's (challengers, chargers, ram 2500 and 3500) after a few thousand miles the oil shears down to a 30 weight.
I don't know the scientific reason, other than since it is such wide range going from a 0W (cold) to 40 (hot).
That's based on uoa's from Blackstone I've seen. I run redline 0w30 in the winter and am going to be running redline 5w30 in my 16 6.4L ram.
Redlines 30weight is a really "heavy" 30weight, border line 40 weight but doesn't shear down very much.
So if I ran 0w40 in it for 5k miles it would be thinner, more than likely somewhere between 2-3k mile mark up to 5k, then the same 5k mile interval with 5w30 that is more shear stable. At least with redline oil.
So, you change oil & filter more often than the Oil Life Monitor recommends?
Another non gm fun fact. On the Rams with the 5.7 hemi in the past couple years they switched from recommending 5w30 to 0w20.
From 09 to now, nothing has changed with that motor. It's all to appease the epa and claim .00001 mpg better.
It's to appease the CARB MpG test standards, which get tougher every year, but the sentiment is spot on -
especially since EPA emissions test standards also get tougher every year.

15burban

Reaction score
So, you change oil & filter more often than the Oil Life Monitor recommends?
All 3 of our vehicles get the oil changed every 5k now. The suburban is the wife's but her previous vehicle was a mitsubishi outlander sport that I was changing every 10k with mobil 1 extended performance. Didn't use or leak any oil from new to 170k when we sold it. My work beater (pontiac g5) I was doing the same 10k but now it's got 263k on it and since about 220k I've switched to 5k intervals on that too since around 5k I need to add some. Since it takes 5 quarts it's just easier to buy a 5 quart jug and change it out and easier to keep track if all the vehicles are on the same schedule.

I don't trust the oil life monitors at all. Granted they're probably a lot better but in my 07 pontiac when I was doing 10k oci I didn't reset it a few times and once it went up to 16k before the monitor actually went off. The biggest thing is that the monitor has no clue what oil is even in the motor.

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't trust the oil life monitors at all.
Granted they're probably a lot better but in my 07 pontiac when I was doing 10k oci I didn't reset it a few times and once it went up to 16k before the monitor actually went off.
The biggest thing is that the monitor has no clue what oil is even in the motor.
That the Oil Life Monitor has nothing to do with what kind of oil is used, has been known - but not widely disseminated to the general public - since the late '90s when the feature was introduced to the NorthStar & LT1 V8s.
Since the Oil Life Monitor tracks how the driver treats the engine ...
Shall we rename it?
Driver Engine Behaviour Tracker?
Engine Work Rate Counter? (as close a description of what the OLM ACTUALLY does as I can think of)

Antonm

Reaction score
This explains A LOT.
So far as I'm concerned, this is wh
y I'd use 0W30 or 5W30 instead of 0W20 or 5W20.

(Don't think I drive hard enough to NEED 0W40.)
By the way, what kind of 0W40? I'm not a tribologist, but I know that not every 0W40 is identical to any other 0W40.This is why I asked about the oil specified for the 6.6L L8T, as opposed to the lesser EcoTec V8s that are subject CAFE MpG test standards.

You asked "what kind of 0W40", Mobil 1 Supercar 0W-40 is pretty popular with the new corvette crowd, it's even Dexos rated.

MB1SC.jpg

Below is a link to this oil at Summit racing, if you read the description it talks about how that this oil was specifically designed for the Corvette, which as discussed earlier , has the same bearing clearance specs on its 6.2 that the Tahoe/Yukon/ Escalade 6.2 has where GM says run to 0w20.

Last edited:

Antonm

Reaction score
And just because I thought it was funny, I bought an oil fill cap meant for a Corvette that says 0W40 on it.

My original oil fill cap is on the left, new one (thats a genuine GM part), is on the right

cap1.jpg

Now my Tahoe 6.2 has an oil cap that lists the "wrong" weight oil. Probably confuse a dealer tech if they bothered to actually read it (which they wouldn't).

cap2.jpg

Last edited:

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GMW18299 (supersedes GM4718M, from the late '90s)

So, not just ANY 0W40 or 5W50.
Need better info ...

Antonm

Reaction score
GMW18299 (supersedes GM4718M, from the late '90s)

So, not just ANY 0W40 or 5W50.
Need better info ...

The new dexos rating has to do with the additive package, specifically the calcium content. Calcium is used as a detergent additive but has been shown to cause pre-ignition detonation in gasoline direct injected engines. Its especially bad on small displacement turbocharged DI engines that build significant boost at low RPM, but it happens on all DI engines to some degree. So the new dexos is just limiting the PPM content of calcium to help stop the pre-ignition problem.

The oil viscosity is the same (or at least in the same range) on EVERY 0w40 oil, it's just the additive package that's different. And since the gasser engines this thread has skewed into talking about aren't forced induction , they really don't benefit from the lower calcium.

Last edited:

CTown Duramax

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about oil, maybe change the specified 0W20 at shorter intervals. I do mine at 4,000 - 5,000 miles because I think the 0W20 is light and that more frequent changes with city driving could make less wear. GM would have no reason to specify the wrong oil.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are worried about oil, maybe change the specified 0W20 at shorter intervals. I do mine at 4,000 - 5,000 miles because I think the 0W20 is light and that more frequent changes with city driving could make less wear. GM would have no reason to specify the wrong oil.
That is a good interval.

Antonm

Reaction score

You are correct, they absolutely have a reason for specifying the oil they do,,,,and that reason is CAFE and regulatory requirements.

Their reasoning has absolutely nothing to do with it being the best oil for engine longevity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
him__chase