Fog light mod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't see this anywhere yet and a lot of you have probably aready seen and or done this, but since we're all getting a new start here I thought it wouldn't hurt to start posting a few of these.

Okay, I did this to my 2000 ‘** and it worked great. I’m not sure what years it will work with, I got the write up from JKmotorsports, thanks JK. I got it when I was hanging out at that other Tahoe forum. I’ve changed it very little. It’s a real quick, real easy mod.

Here is what you do. Your fogs will be on when ever your parking lights are on. You go behind the headlight switch and jumper a wire from the switch over to the parking light wire. Simple as that. Its just you have no control over them now and they will be on when ever your orange lights are on. But that means they will be on with just low, or lows and highs. It will work it did it on my 02. (I guess this was JK’s comment, maybe somebody elses)

Remove the dash trim. I found this easiest to do if I slid out the ash tray so I could pry on the trim there, then worked my way around the bottom. Remove the headlight and fog light/rear wiper assemblies. If you look at the pics, there is a tab on the top and bottom of the fog switch. I’m pretty sure it was on the top of the headlight assembly as well. Slide something thin in between the assembly and the trim it’s mounted in and it’s pretty easy to gently disengage the tabs.

I assume all rides are wired the same but I’d test the wires first to be sure. You don’t need a volt meter, just a simple circuit tester will work, I’ve included a pic of what I used. Behind the parking/headlight switch test the wires for power when you turn the parking lights on. It is the light blue wire on my ride. Others have power constantly but you want the one that turns on and off with the parking lights. Behind the fog light switch check the orange, black, and purple wires. You want the wire that turns on and off when you push the fog light button. Mine is purple. Now use a piece of 14-18 gauge wire and a couple of in-line wire taps to jumper the two wires. This should get your fogs to come on with the parking lights and stay on when you switch to high beams.

fog.JPG fog 1.JPG tester.JPG jumpered.JPG

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not a fan of the blue quick taps (they tend to heat up and fail) but sounds like a cool mod

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Excellent write up...keep em coming bro!

BOSS

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I heard complaints about the T-taps coming loose before but not the blue in-line ones. I wouldn't have thought there would be that much draw there but then I don't know Jack about electrical systems.

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Since I have no electrical knowledge WHAT-soever, I've got my work cut out for me, I'm doing a mod that, as far as I know, has never been done the way I'm attempting. I know it can be done, it's just a matter of my dumbass figuring it out...now I know who I can hit up for help ;-)

BOSS

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Blue ones arent too bad but I have seen them fail. Most failures I have seen are when they are used in grills and exterior in general. People try and take the easy route when installing grill LEDS and then well I gotta go fix it lol. If I seen them in a chiefs truck or pd car my company requires me to fix it lol.

OP
OP
withac

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My logic is that for inside the dash like they are I'll be okay. Hope I'm right. I did the 4-hi mod so my high beams stay on with my lows. I used the blue taps just to make sure I had things wired right then when I knew I had it I took them off and cut the wires and spliced them using crimp connectors. I need to go elevate my knee (ACL surgery last Wed) but some time when I have more time I'll write that one up with some pics too. That one is well worth it. I've also got an instrument cluster light change over (gives you a different color) write up in the wings. I came up with none of these myself, just got them from guys who know more than I do. But they work and are easy so when I get around to it I'll post up. That is unless someone beats me to the punch.

HMFDZ28

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can deff see your logic... and for temping to see if it will even work the way ya want lol. I love seeing and reading write ups. It just shows how creative people can be. Keep up the great work man!! BTW feel better bro... ACL surgury has got to suck! I had three surguries on my ankle to put it back together and that blew!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AEHaas