Dual Battery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rdhenderson

Reaction score
I am in the process of adding a dual battery set-up in my 96 Hoe. I am familiar with all of the after market isolator kits but want to research what OEM parts are available. The problem is I need a VIN number from a hoe that had it it originally in order for any of the parts dealers to confirm that it will work. Most likely this would be someone who has a diesel. Is anyone willing to share their VIN number with me so I can see what parts are available?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry, can't use my VIN, and I don't know the OEM part numbers, but I too have been thinking of adding a second battery after having it drained too many times by my toys after two days of sitting.(I know unplug my toys to avoid issues), but I'm lazy and want my toys and my truck to start.

I thnk that there are two ways to do this, mechanical switch(selonoid), or electronic(diode). I'm leaning towards electrical myself.

So, I've been thinking of this;
http://www.princessauto.com/truck-trailer/electrical/charging-accessories/8235699-120-amp-battery-isolator
It's on sale this week.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.
BTW, why do you want OEM? Just wondering, doesn't matter why. Is OEM that much better?

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score

qlc1964

qlc1964
Reaction score
always use a selonoid it won't lose any volts like the isolators

will . go to the junkyard to get the passenger side battery

tray and brackets. 95 too 99 yukon/tahoe will work

Onebadsuv

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
always use a selonoid it won't lose any volts like the isolators

will . go to the junkyard to get the passenger side battery

tray and brackets. 95 too 99 yukon/tahoe will work

+1 couldn't have said it better myself ... that's exactly what I did on mine 10 years ago

OP
OP
R

rdhenderson

Reaction score
I do not necessarily want an OEM system I just like to research all of my options fully before making the purchase.

Any thoughts on whether I need to upgrade the alternator after hooking up dual batteries?

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So here's the thing, that selonoid is rated for 80A continuous. That's what I bought for my 57 tractor. The diodes are 120A or 240A. Our alternators are ~100A? So who knows what is really required.

sparg93

Expedition Tahoe
Reaction score
any ideas?? i have an OEM 2nd battery tray in my rig (came from factory) and i was thinking of doing the same thing with my accessories.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kchaga1978

Latest posts