McGaughys Lowering Spindles Turning Radius FIX

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

digitalfiend

Expert Overthinker
Reaction score
Some background:
Before my Tahoe I owned a long-wheelbase double-cab Toyota Tacoma that didn't have a great turning radius. When I started driving and parking my 2004 2wd Tahoe LT and I LOVED it's improvement in turning radius over my Tacoma. The tighter turning radius made low-speed maneuvers much easier.

Fast forward to two weeks ago:
I put McGaughys 2" drop spindles on my Tahoe. Immediately I noticed a horrible reduction in turning radius and I knew I was going to grind the offending metal off of my lowering spindles. This past weekend I finally got to it. I ground down the portions of metal on the rear portions of the spindles so that they do not contact the lower control arm. The front of the spindles still touch the lower control arms, but it doesn't cause as much of an issue as the rear spindles did. The metal that I removed does not appear to be structural and more could be removed if so desired. I then put a coat of black engine enamel over the exposed metal to prevent rust.

Results
I'm very happy with the results and I recommend this to anyone who notices the loss of turning radius.

Lawyer Speak
If you do this mod you do so at your own risk.

NORCAL SS

SUV SUSPENSION GURU
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Some background:
Before my Tahoe I owned a long-wheelbase double-cab Toyota Tacoma that didn't have a great turning radius. When I started driving and parking my 2004 2wd Tahoe LT and I LOVED it's improvement in turning radius over my Tacoma. The tighter turning radius made low-speed maneuvers much easier.

Fast forward to two weeks ago:
I put McGaughys 2" drop spindles on my Tahoe. Immediately I noticed a horrible reduction in turning radius and I knew I was going to grind the offending metal off of my lowering spindles. This past weekend I finally got to it. I ground down the portions of metal on the rear portions of the spindles so that they do not contact the lower control arm. The front of the spindles still touch the lower control arms, but it doesn't cause as much of an issue as the rear spindles did. The metal that I removed does not appear to be structural and more could be removed if so desired. I then put a coat of black engine enamel over the exposed metal to prevent rust.

Results
I'm very happy with the results and I recommend this to anyone who notices the loss of turning radius.

Lawyer Speak
If you do this mod you do so at your own risk.

yes you lose a lot of turning raidius with their spindles. This fix has been around for a while. looks good

WHITEOUT

Dont Hate-Appreciate
Reaction score
I must say, never noticed such a huge loss of turning radius. I did mine yrs back, but didn't notice much to any improvement. But I also don't full clock anyways. Like Norcal said, fix has been in. Good job tho bro. Not meant to bust chops!!

Sorry, just not as bad as it's made out to be. IMO

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I noticed a huge loss in turning radius right after I installed mine a few years back. I pulled it right back into the garage and did the same thing. Ground off the stops and got my radius back. Still not sure why McGaughys felt this was necessary in designing their spindles.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts