Help override the automatic door locking feature

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe and I hate the auto locking feature. Is there a way to disable the auto door locking/unlocking feature when the vehicle is put in gear/park.

Thanks
jcs

clayp

Reaction score
I have a 2011 Tahoe and I hate the auto locking feature. Is there a way to disable the auto door locking/unlocking feature when the vehicle is put in gear/park.

Thanks
jcs

you should be able to change the options using the gauge cluster buttons next to the speedo on the right hand side

ChevyFreak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you should be able to change the options using the gauge cluster buttons next to the speedo on the right hand side

You can change the options (i.e. - lock when shifting out of park, or lock with speed), but I don't believe you can actually turn the auto locking feature off.

Thanks
jcs

Below is what your manual should tell you. This is from my manual (2007), so I would verify yours to make sure the directions are still the same. This, however, does not help you very much with disabling the auto lock feature.

AUTO DOOR LOCK
This feature allows you to select when the vehicle’s doors will automatically lock. See Programmable Automatic Door Locks for more information.

Press the customization button until AUTO DOOR LOCK appears on the DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll through the following settings:

SHIFT OUT OF PARK (default): The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle is shifted out of PARK (P).

AT VEHICLE SPEED: The doors will automatically lock when the vehicle speed is above 8 mph (13 km/h) for three seconds.

NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this feature. The current setting will remain.

Choose one of the available settings and press
the set/reset button while it is displayed on the DIC
to select it.

AUTO DOOR UNLOCK
This feature allows you to select whether or not to turn off the automatic door unlocking feature. It also allows you to select which doors and when the
doors will automatically unlock. See Programmable Automatic Door Lock for more information.

Press the customization button until AUTO DOOR UNLOCK appears on the DIC display. Press the set/reset button once to access the settings for this feature. Then press the customization button to scroll through the following settings:

OFF: None of the doors will automatically unlock.

DRIVER AT KEY OUT: Only the driver’s door will unlock when the key is taken out of the ignition.

DRIVER IN PARK: Only the driver’s door will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).

ALL AT KEY OUT: All of the doors will unlock when the key is taken out of the ignition.

ALL IN PARK (default): All of the doors will unlock when the vehicle is shifted into PARK (P).

NO CHANGE: No change will be made to this feature. The current setting will remain.

Choose one of the available settings and press the set/reset button while it is displayed on the DIC to select it.

Unless you see an option in the DIC to turn off the auto locking feature, you will need to have some programming done. Maybe this will help -
Subject: Disabling Auto Door Locks

Models: 2005-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2005-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Silverado Classic, Suburban, Tahoe

2005-2011 GMC Sierra, Sierra Classic, Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:
Some customers may comment that they are unable to override the automatic door locking feature. In prior model years, customers were able to select "Doors Lock Manually" from the DIC. However, starting in the 2005 model year, this selection was removed.

Recommendation/Instructions:
Since the 2005 model year, all BCM's (Body Control Modules) are programmed from the factory to lock all doors when the transmission is shifted into gear or vehicle speed is greater than 8 mph (13 km/h). There is no option to disable the auto door locks from the factory, but if an owner wishes to have the auto door locks disabled the following procedure can be performed by the dealership:

Note: Use the appropriate procedure below (either 1 or 2) for the Year and Model vehicle you are working.

1. Use the following procedure to disable the auto door locks on the models listed below:
2007-2011 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

2007-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado (new body style), Suburban, Tahoe

2007-2011 GMC Sierra (new body style), Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL

A. Reprogram the BCM with updated calibrations currently available in Tis2Web. When viewing the "Calibration Selection" screen in Tis2Web, select "locking" (should be highlighted in Red) and pick the calibration listed as "(Per Customer Request Only) Auto door locks off, option no longer in DIC".

Note: For the 2010 and 2011 Model year the calibrations are no longer selectable in TIS2WEB and Techline Customer Support (800-828-XXXX) must be contacted to obtain the calibrations.

B. After reprogramming the BCM, use the DIC controls (RPO UK3) to scroll through the personalization settings to the "Auto Door Lock" feature. There will be two different settings: "Lock with speed" or "Lock in gear". You will notice there is NO new setting but also there will be no "check This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIT3189N. marks" next to any of the settings. This means the auto door lock feature is disabled. If there is a "check mark" next to one of the "Auto Door Lock" selections then the only way to remove the "check mark" is to scroll to "Factory Settings" and select "Restore", this will remove the "check mark" thus disabling the "Auto Door Lock" feature.

Note: Please keep in mind that if "Factory Settings Restored" is selected it will change all of the other personalization settings back to the factory settings and they will need to be reset back to the owner's preferences.

On vehicles without the DIC controls, once the BCM is reprogrammed with the new calibration the "Auto Door Locks" will be disabled and there is no way to turn the Auto Door Locks back on unless the BCM is reprogrammed with the previous calibration.

Unfortunately, this procedure involves some programming. The problem is, this is a safety feature, and I can't tell you for sure if a dealership will do this.

I apologize for the lengthy post, but I hope all of this information was helpful. Either way, Good Luck!! :Handshake:

OP
OP
J

jcsinc

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks members for the information. I will check my DIC to see what options are available and if I cant disable it via the DIC, I will take it to the dealer to see if they will do it for me.

Meanwhile if the dealer wont reprogram it, my cousin has a shop and he has access to a TechII handheld. Is that the unit the dealer use to reprogram the feature?

Thx
jcs

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise against not having the doors automatically lock due to the current crime situation. Especially if a wife, girlfriend or child drives the vehicle at all. And it's only going to get worse.

gnarpow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would advise against not having the doors automatically lock due to the current crime situation. Especially if a wife, girlfriend or child drives the vehicle at all. And it's only going to get worse.

FWIW I would have to agree. I avoided a potentially dangerous situation thanks to this feature when two people attempted to enter my truck when I was taking a call in a parking lot in a rather undesirable area. Pretty sure they heard the car running but couldn't see me through the tint. Luckily the doors were locked and they ran off when I rolled the window down.

JochenWoern

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW I would have to agree. I avoided a potentially dangerous situation thanks to this feature when two people attempted to enter my truck when I was taking a call in a parking lot in a rather undesirable area. Pretty sure they heard the car running but couldn't see me through the tint. Luckily the doors were locked and they ran off when I rolled the window down.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Close call for sure.

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

rolled down the window? thats the last thing I would do! except if I had my gun in my hand. =)

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Gzes

the drifting 2dr
Reaction score
Lol I'd have a lip somthin somthin if I rolled the window down..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BenK