Rear Defroster Ripped Off???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I opened my glass on my rear hatch the other day and one of the defroster cables ripped off. Not just the connector but the metal spade connector that attaches to the glass. I never touch the cable with anything, so why would it have a reason to come off?

Anyone have this issue? How do I fix it? Do I have to solder it back on?

k9lovr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had this happen a few weeks ago. If under warranty take it in and they will try to solider it back on or replace the glass all together. I ended up having to have the glass replaced. If not under warranty search around and there is a thread that covers what others have done to fix this issue.

2 E L O

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Search around the site. I believe there are some DIY repair techniques that people have posted.

1ATony

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That stinks,did it ripp the tab off the glass on yah.

fixxxer88

Reaction score
I soldered mine back on. Its not a perma-fix, but it'll hold for a while. You use a solder with a low melting point and use plenty of flux. Mine popped off in FEB of last year, I soldered it back on, and it just recently popped back off. To me, I'd rather spend 5 mins just soldering the thing back on for free, then having to deal with getting the window replaced

OklabyGodhoma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, welcome to the club....sorry it's not a selective membership and the numbers are growing all the time. Yes, this is more of a common problem than it should be. The dealerships have a service bullitin about this and even have a "repair kit" for it as well. I quoted repair kit because thus far it has been used on the tabs of my back glass 3 times (2 on left - 1 on right). After the last time I made them put a note in my service record that the next time they replace the back glass. I have known of folks who have had the stealerships replace the back glass the first time it happened while others hold you hostage until you put them on notice like I have.

Anyway, welcome to the club and as always the new guy buys the beer!!!

OP
OP
S

Scotto2323

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What are the odds of them fixing it under warranty out of my 3/36 standard warranty? Anyone have luck with that?

PavementPounder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I seen a lot of these lately. One guy had his soldered twice and replaced the rear glass. I got a call a week ago it came off again! Idk why the quality on the rear defrost solder is so bad on the nnbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia