Slave CD unit in place of Slave Cassette

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok everyone, Im sure some of you are beginning to think my questions are ridiculous...lol. My console mounted slave cassette player does not work. So rather than buy another cassette player which I will never use for anything, I purchased a slave CD player to put in place. However I have put the CD player in the location of the casette and connected the slave wiring harness. However, the unit will take a CD in, but my factory CD headunit does not seem to see the slave unit. Is there something I am missing or is the stock CD headunit not compatible with a slave cd? I wanted something to replace the cassette because I purchased a PAC aux input kit and for the aux input to work, it needs something being played continuously. Anyone have any ideas? By the way this is on my '02 Yukon SLT

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That slave CD player must have come from a 03 or newer. They are NOT compatible with 02 and older radios, even though they plug right up. I had a PAC aux adapter when I had my stock stereo still in. What I ended up doing was just put a blank tape in the slave cassette player so it would "see" a cassete playing, but was actually playing the audio from the aux input. I relocated the slave cassette player inside the center console under the cupholders and mounted a DVD player in the spot where the slave cassette player was.

ebaysaleitems009.jpg

OP
OP
S

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the ebay ad says its from a '99 chevy venture, Im going out to check what any delco stickers on the unit say. In my '99 tahoe I had a remote cd with AM/FM/Tape deck. In my newer '02 yukon, it has the AM/FM/CD in dash and the tape remote mounted, do you know if that head unit is capable of controlling a slave single cd remote?

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:04 PM ----------

Looking at the wiring diagrams...it looks like the remote cd player pinouts have pins 10 as the common signal, 11 as right audio and 12 as left audio. but on my '02 remote pinout, 10 is right audio, 11 is left audio and 12 is the common signal. Everything else is the same. Im wondering if flipping these three pins to the correct locations will solve this?

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it has mounts like this one, it wont work. This is the one for the databus radios.
!B0UOUv!BWk~$(KGrHqJ,!hYEw5BfpQcrBMZ15czBlQ~~_12.jpg

If it looks like this one, it "should" work.
!Bu2UNcgEWk~$(KGrHqEOKjcEvcnF0ssRBMCBRw)Te!~~_12.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the lower one...the Single CD unit...im trying to switch the wires around...still not working for some reason, im beginning to wonder if the cd player itself is dead...

ScottyBoy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another possibility is that maybe only a Cassette deck will control a slave CD player, and a CD deck will only control a slave cassette deck, not vice versa??
confused.gif

OP
OP
S

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought that might be a possibility also. But the eject button on the slave CD seems to have a mind of its own and only eject after being powered off for 5-10 minutes. and NOTHING can be felt happening when a CD is inserted. no vibrations in the case at all like its spinning up.

OP
OP
S

smurphy80

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yea, he gave me a full refund and let me keep the unit. He said it worked when before he shipped it, but it is from a salvage yard. I've tried testing it with a 9v battery, but once a CD is inserted, it doesnt even attempt to spin it up. But the motor to spin the CD still works, tested that independently

jfretless

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys!

How did you go about removing the tape deck? Does it come out from the front or do you remove the whole center console? Any tips would be appreciated.

I plan on replacing the tape deck with a tape deck delete, cubby hole and and adding the PIE GM9-AUX unit and wire the rca's to the back of the cubby hole.

Thanks!
John

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14