Rear Suspension Autoride air pump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Armory

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys:

First post here on the forums. I have had a 2003 Yukon Denali since 2006 and baby the absolute hell out of it. Honestly, it is my favorite vehicle ever made. I am absolutely in love with them.

Anyways, here is my question. The air pump for my autoride suspension is on its way out. It constantly runs and runs and runs when I have anyone in the second row seat. It's even worse if someone is in the 3rd row seat. My mechanic said I can get a new pump and have it installed for around $500. I find that to be WAY overpriced and was wondering if anyone knows of a site where I can get a BRAND NEW pump (I want brand new, I'm vain and don't want to put used parts in my truck. If I'm replacing it why not make it brand new). Also, I would love to install it myself and I'm sure someone has posted a how-to on these forums.

Thanks in advance!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you check all the shocks and airlines?

I only ask because if the pump is constantly running i would think that there is a leak somewhere causing the pump to run nonstop.

My pump was just replaced under warranty on my 05 yukon and when it was on it`s way out it got louder and seemed to run slower until it just quit one day.

The new one is really quiet and only runs for maybe 30 seconds on startup if the truck has sat overnight.

If it turns out to be a bad pump i found this one on ebay for $179 with free shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

hassoun

Full Access Member
Reaction score

my 05

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i had a similar issue like you. it turned out my left rear shock's bag had a huge hole in it leaking air causing the pump to constantly stay on until it dies. i didnt know that until i bought the pump. so what i did is, i bought this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-Y...Q5fAccessories and pulled the RTD fuse so it doesnt damage my new pump. i'm about to order a set of shocks from the same seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GMC-...ccessories&hash=item45f30fdf99#ht_1961wt_1165
Alright..where is the RTD fuse???I think it is under dash left of SW there is a black cover on it but...where is the fuse? does the box split open?Help

blrmkrl83

Reaction score
The RTD fuse is in the engine compertment. I think it is to the left of the fuse panel and it is a 30 amp fuse. If you disconnect the battery before you pull the fuse it won't flash "service ride control" when you start it up.

docm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Same issue gone bad

My 03 compressor would run for a while (longer than expected) then shut off. I had a honey do that required hauling a trailer and the ride level notification came on while towing but the truck leveled out after removing the trailer and light stayed on. Come to find out the relief values blew on both shocks and compressor went out.
Now that I have the sticky feeling washed off after the dealer told me that the repair was $2,300, I have 2 big questions.
1. If I use Monroe or Bilstein shocks and a compressor from GM Parts Direct will the level system work correct?
2. Will the Stability System work correctly?

My long time shade tree mechanic says he will put on whatever I want but he says the computer and system integration that it takes for the everything to work together isn't his responsibility.
Any help is appreciated.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 03 compressor would run for a while (longer than expected) then shut off. I had a honey do that required hauling a trailer and the ride level notification came on while towing but the truck leveled out after removing the trailer and light stayed on. Come to find out the relief values blew on both shocks and compressor went out.
Now that I have the sticky feeling washed off after the dealer told me that the repair was $2,300, I have 2 big questions.
1. If I use Monroe or Bilstein shocks and a compressor from GM Parts Direct will the level system work correct?
2. Will the Stability System work correctly?

My long time shade tree mechanic says he will put on whatever I want but he says the computer and system integration that it takes for the everything to work together isn't his responsibility.
Any help is appreciated.

Just buy a set of remanufactured OEM shocks from Arnott along with a new compressor and you will be set. I just did this repair a few weeks back-my compressor was kicking in every couple of blocks and would run about 15 secs on initial startup-not to mention my compressor was very loud-loud enough to be heard inside the vehicle with the radio on.....NOW-the compressor kicks in for about 5 secs on startup-don't hear it after that and it is whisper quiet. I found a pakage deal on ebay for $550 with free shipping. I did the install myself-the compressor took the longest because all 3 mounting bolts snapped off so it took some time to grind them off and drill new holes-other than that-went very smooth. Everything is plug and play(you have to cut the old connector off the compressor and connect it to the new one-color to color-easy)-no warning lights-no nothing ;)

ATL

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im goin thru the same thing and im prob just gonna go without auto leveling. its kind of cool and all but this good deal at $550 for just the rears still sucks when you can buy 4 belltech street performance shocks for $225 shipped

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
im goin thru the same thing and im prob just gonna go without auto leveling. its kind of cool and all but this good deal at $550 for just the rears still sucks when you can buy 4 belltech street performance shocks for $225 shipped

Yep, it just depends on how bad you want to maintain the auto-levelling. Arnott is definitely the way to go if you want the air shocks; it's a LOT cheaper than OEM and that's the route I took (I like auto-levelling for towing and hauling heavy loads).

But, yes, you can certainly get a set of cheaper shocks and put them in there.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score

It a good deal when the dealer will charge over a grand in just parts for 2 rear shocks and a compressor. I also need the auto leveling because I tow boats and trailers and like the feature.

Don't you need resistors to fool the computer once you remove the factory components so you don't get a service suspension message?