2015 Yukon and iphones - VIDEO??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cords

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No YouTube with an iPhone 4?

I'm trying to use a 30-pin to composite cable and an old iPhone 4 to play videos on my 2015 Yukon and they simply won't play. The cable and phone work fine however because I can play videos from my Camera Roll and they appear on the screens just fine. I can also play YouTube videos on a regular TV using this phone and this cable. Is there a reason why the GMC system won't stream YouTube videos on the screens?

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to use a 30-pin to composite cable and an old iPhone 4 to play videos on my 2015 Yukon and they simply won't play. The cable and phone work fine however because I can play videos from my Camera Roll and they appear on the screens just fine. I can also play YouTube videos on a regular TV using this phone and this cable. Is there a reason why the GMC system won't stream YouTube videos on the screens?

I have an old Iphone 3gs and I was able to view pics and recorded videos on the Denali but no netflix, youtube or mirror the phone. See my post HERE

I don't know if this applies to the iphone 4 but I had to jailbreak the Iphone and install a program call "display out" and this allowed me to mirror the phone to the screen. Also, I had to download another program to enable the aftermarket cable to work.
So now I connect to the internet on the 3gs and the kids watch netflix. But I already bought the hardware for HDMI connection so I can use my current android phone.

Last edited:

Cords

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
jl449, thank you!

I followed all your instructions and now I have an jailbroken iPhone 4 that I can dedicate to my Yukon. With the "display out" app and the one that supports the aftermarket 30-pin composite cable, I can now use Hulu, Netflix and YouTube on my iPhone 4 on the Yukon display.

The only issue now for me is to find a place to hack my front video screen to be in use while in motion. I need to know what my little vermin are watching! :) Any tips on that would be appreciated! I have a 2015 Yukon so I believe the system (and therefore the wiring?) may be different from previous models.

jl449

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jl449, thank you!

I followed all your instructions and now I have an jailbroken iPhone 4 that I can dedicate to my Yukon. With the "display out" app and the one that supports the aftermarket 30-pin composite cable, I can now use Hulu, Netflix and YouTube on my iPhone 4 on the Yukon display.

The only issue now for me is to find a place to hack my front video screen to be in use while in motion. I need to know what my little vermin are watching! :) Any tips on that would be appreciated! I have a 2015 Yukon so I believe the system (and therefore the wiring?) may be different from previous models.

Awesome!! and follow GTPprix link. That is my next upgrade.

natasha69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought our Denali yesterday. I will definitely have to look into the HMI unlock.

Question - couldn't you just plug in a WiFi hotspot (AT&T/Verizon/etc) and an Apple TV (have it join the WiFi network of the hotspot, and do HDMI to composite into the car), and then Airplay from your iPhone/iPad (also on same WiFi SSID as hotspot) to the Apple TV?

Last edited:

SoCalBBQ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Media with 2015 Yukon Denali XL

I just purchased the car yesterday and one of the first things I wanted to check out was accessing my collection of digital videos (all backups) in the car.

I can confirm that as long as you have a FAT32 formatted USB stick or SD card, the player has no issues with .MP4 files, regardless of resolution. I didn't test NTFS, but I presume it would work as well (mostly a Mac house, so FAT32 is easier for me).

My next test is going to be Apple TV and Roku, via in car WIFI streaming netflix etc, via HDMI to composite. I happened to have all of those cables, so it's not a big deal to execute that test. Will post results later.

An earlier post indicated that there was a general willingness to submit an RFE to GM for a direct HDMI solution - I would absolutely be on board to pressure them in that direction - even DVI or VGA would make more sense than composite.

Not sure if anyone has looked into this, but it seems that Intellilink won't support an actual hard drive attached via USB - has anyone tested that?

natasha69

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I discovered a nice device that might help us all. The Lacie Fusion Hard Drive. It creates its own WiFi hotspot and allows 5 devices to stream from it. It can also connect to an external WiFi (i.e. the car's). So, in theory you could connect Apple TV to the composite inputs, and then airplay from a tablet (streaming media from the hard drive) to the apple tv.

I did not realize you cannot connect a Hard Drive to the USB inputs. I will have to test this out as this makes no sense.

leecoursey

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I had such a hard time finding this info that I though I would make an account and share with you all. This is true for my 2016 Yukon Denali, so I assume it's the same for similar models.

Here is the formats in order to use the Rear Seat Entertainment: Movie System Information
Caution for Using Movie Files

. Available resolution: Within 720 x 576 (W x H) pixels.

. Frame rate: Less than 30 fps.

. Playable movie file: .avi, .mpg, .mp4, .divx, .xvid, .wmv.
--The playable movie file may not be played according to the codec format.

. Playable codec format: divx, xvid, mpeg-1, mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43), wmv9 (wmv3).

. Playable Audio format: MP3, AC3, AAC, WMA.

. Max video bitrate:
- mpeg-1: 8Mbps
- mpeg-4 (mpg4, mp42, mp43):4Mbps
- wmv9: 3 Mbps
- divx 3: 3 Mbps
- divx 4/5/6: 4.8 Mbps
- xvid: 4.5 Mbps

. Max audio bitrate
:
- mp3: 320 Kbps
- wma: 320 Kbps
- ac-3: 640 Kbps
- aac: 449 Kbps

. Movie files to which Digital Right Management (DRM) is applied may not be played.

cycleops

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The software on this car is really pretty poorly designed.

Can you do videos on the back rear seat entertainment system from your iPhone?
Either bluetooth or USB connection? If not iPhone/Apple, is it a format issue?

We have lots of kids movies/shows in digital format.

Thanks
I couldn't agree more. Feeling stupid for spending so much on a vehicle that turns out to have a really bad entertainment system. I am in the process of installing a Raspberry Pi based media center using the AUX-in composite AV sockets. I'm happy to share details if anyone is interested(?). It's way cheaper than using Apple products. The problem is that it results in a bundle of cables in the cabin. If only I knew how to remove the rear radio panel, everything could probably be hidden in that space -- any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne