Installed Pioneer AVH-8400BH Today...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So even though I just installed the Pioneer AVH-4400BH less than a month ago, I had an opportunity to upgrade to the Pioneer AVH-8400BH.

My install - Pioneer DD & Headrest & iPad

8400BH-1.jpg

There area some differences, although if you don't have an iPhone or iPad, I don't' think it's worth the price.

Differences:

- Better Screen Resolution - VGA (800x400) compared to QVGA (480x240)
- SD Card Input
- .WMV Playback
- MIXTRAX - kinda like a DJ and mixes your music (MIXTRAX)
- 2 USB inputs. 1 uses the iPhone/iPad cable, so now I have an extra one for whatever.
- Dual Zone Audio/Video - I can listen to something different in the rear than in the front
- Detachable Face
- Advanced App Mode - biggest reason I bought it. I can use the Maps on my iphone or iPad instead of built in GPS. Also works with a lot of other apps. Pioneer Advance App Mode

[yt]hEDJA6H_A8U[/yt]

So overall I'm happy with the purchase. Nice radio, great features. However, there is one thing I can't stand about it. Instead of the regular relay bypass to use Apps or watch video without applying the parking brake, the Pioneer AVH-8400BH uses a "double pulse bypass" that you have to engage the parking brake, disengage, and then re-engage. That is the new way to stop bypassing. You can't do this with a relay. You have to install a switch, or get a double pulse relay like this...

Parking Brake Override Bypass Fully Automatic Video in Motion Pioneer Custom for AVH-P8400BH

Even with having to get that pulse bypass, I still like the radio.

Also just an FYI, if you jailbreak your iPhone/iPad, you get download a program called "display out" that will allow all apps to show up on your screen. Not with just the 8400BH, but any screen. I can actually see safari (internet) from the radio.

How to display your iPad on an external monitor

Last edited:

jdpber

GOLD MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been eyeing that one at my buddies shop. I like it a lot. Looks hosting your dash

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Looking good Nathan!
They are trying to make in-motion video hard to achieve.

droach84

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Very Nice install bro!!! Its nice to finally see it installed! Did you also run a sub and highs?

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very Nice install bro!!! Its nice to finally see it installed! Did you also run a sub and highs?

Thanks. System is in the works. It'll be done eventually...

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice. What do you use to get the piece surrounding the radio (not sure of the name) off? I bought some tool and it was a piece of crap. I ended up using the small knife on a wine bottle opener and it worked. Nice job on the install. Now I want a new radio lol. Does the map show up on the screen when you look up the maps on your phone? If so, you could get away without having to buy navi. I use navi a lot for work so that's the only thing holding me back from replacing the stock HU.

OP
OP
NathanJax

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Awesome. That's the HU I'm getting. I have those tools from Amazon. They sucked. The plastic just isn't strong enough to get the clip off. The small knife worked so much better. It's just nerve wrecking putting a knife up against your dash. I found my old 3gs so I can listen to my old music again. Is that HU compatible with Droid? I have an EVO but I use my old iPhone for music. I can't wait till the new iPhone comes out bc I'm going to toss this EVO when it does.

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you use a mounting kit? Your install looks nice. I read on a Tundra forum that one kit works better than another. Don't remember the names but I'm not sure if that's an issue with GM trucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo

Latest posts