4x4 problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dont know if this is the right place to post but my 4wd wont engage anymore. was out mudding 2 weeks ago and pulled lever to 4wd and got nothing light didnt light up. sat there and waited forever. so either my actuators done or the t case switch right? how would i go abot testing these pieces

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Sorry big blue but I moved your thread. It is better here. At any rate just so I do it right the first time what t-case number you got?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Four-Wheel Drive Will Not Engage
Diagnosis By Symptom - Four Wheel Drive Indicator
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Diagnosis By Symptom - Mechanical Diagnosis

Fig. 2 Troubleshooting Diagnosis Chart (Part 1 Of 2)

Fig. 2 Troubleshooting Diagnosis Chart (Part 2 Of 2)

Adjustments

Fig. 1 Shift Linkage Adjustment

1. Place shift lever in the 4 HI position.
  2. Raise and support vehicle, then disconnect linkage rod from console shift lever.
  3. Shift transfer case into 4 HI position. Lever should be in full forward detent, Fig. 1 .
  4. Adjust swivel to align with hole in console shift lever.
  5. Install linkage rod into shift lever.

Electrical Diagram
New Process 241 (Manual Shift Transfer Case)
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Four Wheel Drive Indicator

---------- Post added at 07:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

If you end up upgrading actuator:

TSB #76-43-01A
  1. Remove the front differential carrier shield, if equipped.
  2. If necessary, clean the axle housing in the area around the existing actuator. Disconnect the actuator's electrical connection at the front axle housing.
  3. Remove the front axle actuator by unthreading the actuator from the axle housing.
  4. Install the spacer from the wiring kit into the axle tube with the flat side seated against the shift fork.
  5. Install the actuator motor and tighten until the shoulder of the actuator seats against the axle tube.

Important : If binding occurs before the actuator is seated, remove the actuator and reseat the spacer by pushing on the spacer with a screwdriver. Then reinstall the actuator.

On K3 Models with the cast iron axle tube, there may be a casting burr which may contact the edge of the actuator. This should not create a concern and the actuator should seat against the axle tube. If this contact remains a concern, use a die grinder in order to remove the burr.

1. Connect the service harness connector to the actuator and connect the 2-pin connector to the mating connector at the axle. For 1994 to current models, in the case of a complete axle replacement, refer to Figure 1.
  2. Route the wiring harness along the existing harness on the right side of the vehicle. Route CKT 241 (BRN) over the top and to the left of the transmission. Secure the harness using plastic ties.
  3. For 1995-97 interim vehicles, locate the 4-wire connector (C120) on the left side of the transmission. Splice the BRN wire of the actuator harness into cavity D of CKT 241 (BRN) on the engine side of connector C120. Follow the splicing procedure described in Section 8A (Electrical Diagnosis Repair Procedures) of the applicable Service Manual.

Important : The new Fast Axle Actuator requires only 1 splice.

• For 1995-97 vehicles, splice into CKT 241 (BRN) between connectors C120 and C100 (Figure 7).

Notice : Connections must be water tight in order to prevent water from entering the circuit and causing damage to the components.

1. On K3 models, install the delay relay, included as part of the wiring harness kit, at the engine side of the bulkhead, adjacent to the existing relay. Mount the new relay with self-drilling fastener, P/N 22510339. Route and secure the relay wire harness behind the right oxygen sensor heat shield.
  2. Verify system operation. When shifting the transfer case, you should hear the actuator motor operate.

Important : This relay incorporates a 5 second delay for the front axle to engage in order to allow the transfer case synchronizer to energize.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
yes.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:39 PM ----------

let me know if pictures and diagrams are needed still and I will reload for another viewing opportunity. Tired at this very moment to do it now.

OP
OP
the big blue bus

the big blue bus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i took out the actuator today and it did nothing when i switch to 4wd. how much is the switch by t case? if its cheap i may replace it to see if thats the problem. really want to fix this before winter hits