Updated valve cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is there an updated valve cover, with a different design pcv system, for my 2005 Z71? Have been involved with another thread about this and finally got curious. I really have no oil consumption problems but am curious. Maybe is already installed? Any obvious new design to see to tell if already on my rig? Thanks.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is there an updated valve cover, with a different design pcv system, for my 2005 Z71? Have been involved with another thread about this and finally got curious. I really have no oil consumption problems but am curious. Maybe is already installed? Any obvious new design to see to tell if already on my rig? Thanks.

They didn't update the baffle until 2010 or 2011. You can't tell by the outside appearance. Actually, the casting is the same and bears the same cast-in part numbers. It's the baffle that's riveted to the underside that was changed. I bought the updated one then found mine had already been updated when I took it off to replace it. There is another difference in the covers and that's the PCV nipple that's pressed into the boss at the rear (firewall end). I think it's a traditional check valve style versus a fixed orifice on the later ones. Supposedly, using the wrong one can set a vacuum leak code. The hose fitment is different as well. This is irrelevant if you're using a rubber hose slipped over it, as with a catch can.

If you're bored, check yours and update it if you want. Do you have a catch can?

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2005....

Right. So, it's gonna have the most OG of valve covers, used up until '10 or '11. If you want an updated cover, aim for the one meant for the '07-'09.

I don't know what's different about the GenIV engines that makes them more susceptible to oil consumption, even with AFM disabled/deleted. Maybe it's that pop-off valve in the oil pan. Other than that, they're essentially identical to the GenIII.

OP
OP
OR VietVet

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As I said, I was not having a problem with oil consumption but did want to know IF there was an updated v/c for my engine, just in case. I do believe, I will hang with what got me here.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I said, I was not having a problem with oil consumption but did want to know IF there was an updated v/c for my engine, just in case. I do believe, I will hang with what got me here.

I gotcha now. You were asking if there was one specifically, as in designed by GM, for your '05. In my world, if it's an update on a newer engine and fits an older but similar engine, then it's an update for that one as well. By that logic, there is an update for your LM7- the L33. :p

Trey Hardy

8” fabtech icon coilovers uniballs 24x14on35/15.50
Reaction score
They didn't update the baffle until 2010 or 2011. You can't tell by the outside appearance. Actually, the casting is the same and bears the same cast-in part numbers. It's the baffle that's riveted to the underside that was changed. I bought the updated one then found mine had already been updated when I took it off to replace it. There is another difference in the covers and that's the PCV nipple that's pressed into the boss at the rear (firewall end). I think it's a traditional check valve style versus a fixed orifice on the later ones. Supposedly, using the wrong one can set a vacuum leak code. The hose fitment is different as well. This is irrelevant if you're using a rubber hose slipped over it, as with a catch can.

If you're bored, check yours and update it if you want. Do you have a catch can?
Could this be my lean code I’ve not been able to trace down?
I changed all the vacuum lines out with hoses and eliminated the plastic fittings however I have not changed the brake booster line yet as it appeared to be fine

Couple times with the smoke machine showed no intake leaks that we could see

I’ve been driving it like this for months now.
it’s not horrible but I do hear a slight rough idle when your just sitting parked somewhere

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could this be my lean code I’ve not been able to trace down?
I changed all the vacuum lines out with hoses and eliminated the plastic fittings however I have not changed the brake booster line yet as it appeared to be fine

Couple times with the smoke machine showed no intake leaks that we could see

I’ve been driving it like this for months now.
it’s not horrible but I do hear a slight rough idle when your just sitting parked somewhere

It's certainly not impossible! But, the brake booster hose comes off the intake manifold. The PCV nipple on the valve cover in question goes to a port on the top center of the IM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jayden0529