Im thinking its heater core time

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ARogg619

Reaction score
Good Afternoon Gents... I think its finally got me. I have pretty much all the symptoms saying my heater core is on its way out. Coolant smell, film on windows, smokey vapor from the vents occasionally. Everything seems pretty ok as long as i keep the AC on low but thats not a fix. Im not losing any significant amount of coolant since i havent had to fill it at all since this has started. I was looking into replacing the old girl but ive decided im gonna keep her and replace it myself. Any tips, tricks, writeups, videos you all recommend? I wanna get all my parts and ducks in a row before i tackle this over a weekend with a friend.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Shop near me let me know they were slow and looking for some work to keep the guys busy. ( They do work with the company I work for, so we talk candidly). They gave me a quote of 1200 to do the heater core, change the blend doors and an oil change. I think im gonna go for it. Seems like a good price. Saves me time working on the truck so I can focus on the summer car finishing getting her ready. Its crazy. I would have thought all my friends and coworkers were on board with me selling this thing but turns out they all wanna see her live forever. So im gonna get these repairs done then put a little love into her. Just giving the people what they want

blackelky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What year is the suv and what was the mileage when the heater core gave out?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it's one of the common issues on this generation. Had it go out in my 1999 Silverado (back like in 2010) and on my 06 Suburban (2 years ago). Both times my mechanic did the work.

You could bypass the heater core by disconnecting the lines near the firewall and connecting together in case of an emergency (also works when those quick disconnect line connectors break, which is also common smfh probably need to be replaced as well.) Of course, this only works in the warm months when the heater is not used.

OP
OP
A

ARogg619

Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, it's one of the common issues on this generation. Had it go out in my 1999 Silverado (back like in 2010) and on my 06 Suburban (2 years ago). Both times my mechanic did the work.

You could bypass the heater core by disconnecting the lines near the firewall and connecting together in case of an emergency (also works when those quick disconnect line connectors break, which is also common smfh probably need to be replaced as well.) Of course, this only works in the warm months when the heater is not used.
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the work? I feel like im getting a decent price.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll play the devil's advocate... what if it's NOT the heater core? Are you going to have any diagnostics done before pulling the trigger?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you dont mind me asking, what did you pay for the work? I feel like im getting a decent price.
I can't remember exactly. My "mechanic" is also a friend/relative that works out of his house, so not a real shop. I think he charged me $500 and had the truck like 2 weeks because he had other vehicles he was also working on (I bought the part from RA, which was another $175 or so.) I would say $1200-$1500 for the job sounds reasonable; it's a huge job.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be the snake-oil salesmen "blue devil" it works just be sure to follow the directions properly,
they have 2 different kinds.
1. you leave in
1. you use once then flush it out
I used the one you leave in. It's not cheap the 2 bottles will run you about $65
good luck!

you might also try swinging by a dealer and ask for some "cadillac tabs"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imterarizer