External trans filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
So after doing some reading, I've convinced myself that an external transmission filter I line with the cooler is an appropriate way to squeeze more life out of the thing and cut down on wear.

Ultimate plan is this:
1-2 micron filter on the output side of the cooling loop, pre cooler.

Filter attached to a housing with an internal 5-10psi bypass valve such that flow rate or a plugged filter or whatever will never be a concern. Realistically the bypass is not needed, but it's cheap insurance

Where I need help is, I'm trying to locate such a housing. I know they exist. My keyword searching just sucks. Anyone have any resources?

Also need to figure out which line is the output, and which line is the return on the trans. Anyone know?

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good call. I've been planning to this for months just sitting in my garage... I look forward to seeing what you use as a bypass. I had not planned for that but it seems like a great idea.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So after doing some reading, I've convinced myself that an external transmission filter I line with the cooler is an appropriate way to squeeze more life out of the thing and cut down on wear.

Ultimate plan is this:

Filter attached to a housing with an internal 5-10psi bypass valve such that flow rate or a plugged filter or whatever will never be a concern. Realistically the bypass is not needed, but it's cheap insurance

Where I need help is, I'm trying to locate such a housing. I know they exist. My keyword searching just sucks. Anyone have any resources?

Also need to figure out which line is the output, and which line is the return on the trans. Anyone know?

Chris, how much of a pressure drop will you have with the remote filter and what is the transmission's tolerance for such a pressure drop?

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's one of the many unanswered questions

From what I can find, the cooler circuit will operate around 40psi

Noe as to pressure drop, that will be a function of the filter used, flow rate and viscosity.

I can control the filter used, and viscosity can be fairly accurately calculated. But what I don't have is the flow rate. If we can get that one figured out, that would make sizing said filter easier as opposed to erring on the side of caution and going "big as hell"

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far where I am at is this:

For the filter, Donaldson has a 6 micron unit flow characteristics well in excess of what I think would be needed for this application
Part number P564357

And they have a housing with an internal bypass valve at 5psi. Housing thread size is 3/4" npt
Part number P561135

Still no luck on determining flow rate through the cooler. Will need to just go oversized and err on the side of caution. With tentative setup, theoretical restriction should be no more than 10psi in a worst case scenario. 5psi bypass, with the listed head restriction showing 15gpm flow at 10 psi pressure differential. Viscosity wasn't listed in the spec sheet that I can find, so I'm leaving some very generous safety margins here.

Still need to determine which line on the trans is cooler return, and which is cooler out.

Plus figure out how to attach the thing. I see mainly 2 options here, barring making my own lines and entirely replumbing the thing.

Option A. Is cut, flare, fitting
Option B. Is cut, then compression fitting.
Option C I guess would be to put hoses directly over the cooler line but I'm not comfortable with how secure that would be

Given the pressure these things are under, I'm not sure a flared line would be appropriate. So I'm thinking option B, put some compression fittings on with a 3/8" hose barb, run hoses to filter, then back to the loop and enter in the cooler. Seems to me it would make more sense to filter pre cooler than post cooler. Keep the things clean internally, and take advantage of the lower viscosity offered by warmer fluid.

Uhhhh OK enough rambling / tldr

Still need help on:
- flow rate?
- which lines coming out of the trans are what
- where the hell do I buy this stuff - Amazon has it

Last edited:

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Ultimate plan is this:

inline filter to the cooling system?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leschew