Driver side seat belt is hard to latch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kdsimms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 2016 Tahoe, recently I've had difficulty latching the driver's side seat belt. The latch is difficult to activate for some reason. I don't know if it's worn out or there's something that can be done to to adjust so that the seat belt clips in place easily again?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my 2016 Tahoe, recently I've had difficulty latching the driver's side seat belt. The latch is difficult to activate for some reason. I don't know if it's worn out or there's something that can be done to to adjust so that the seat belt clips in place easily again?
spray the reciever with wd40 and rapid fire the release button a bunch of times.
100% fix

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^x2^^^^^ And, if that does not fix the issue, replace the buckle, as it is a primary safety item, and MUST work when needed.

OP
OP
K

kdsimms

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
just spray in the slot and work it in a bit, hit the button and stick the clip in and out a bunch of times, they just get gummed up is all.
WD40 didn't fix the situation. Nor did other products. I don't see anything that might have fallen into the mechanism. The latch will work if you insert the buckle and move the release button a little. Definitely a head scratcher. Searching for a replacement gives me the impression this is not a new problem, since there are many replacements on the market. Looks like I need to bite the bullet and replace the latch with a OEM replacement. A YouTube video makes it look fairly easy to replace.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WD40 didn't fix the situation. Nor did other products. I don't see anything that might have fallen into the mechanism. The latch will work if you insert the buckle and move the release button a little. Definitely a head scratcher. Searching for a replacement gives me the impression this is not a new problem, since there are many replacements on the market. Looks like I need to bite the bullet and replace the latch with a OEM replacement. A YouTube video makes it look fairly easy to replace.
only thing I can add is the newer the gm product the more cheaply it is made
lot's of seat belts on the market always has been, has nothing to do with defects and more about wear or repair after a accident, restoration, etc
the retention springs sometime need work there are company's that just do that exclusively.
the belt's get dirty looking or sometimes frayed, so there is always a market
the plastic housings crack or pop apart, so on.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts