ZW7 Premium Smooth Ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, that's a first for me. Never seen one with Nivomats. So you have RPOs ZW7 and G65?

How do you test the ball joints without a dial indicator? The failure is half to one millimeter of movement. Well, they're probably not bad or contributing to the harsh ride but I bet those other parts might be.

Where is everybody else? There's guys on here who have forgotten more about suspensions than I'll ever know.

@Bigkevschopshop @Doubeleive @gooffeyguy @91RS
The rear suspension just seems stiff. It doesn't glide over bumps how I thought it would. The front feels fine. I have never had a vehicle this big and I'm used to sport suspension and comfort suspension that I used to have with BMW and Porsche. I may just be expecting too much from it. I might put 200 pounds of sand in back and see if it smooths out. If it does what can that tell me. Spring too stiff? As far as I know it's the factory spring. I got the Tahoe from an old couple and I'm the second owner. I doubt they changed springs or anything but I could be wrong. Thanks again swathdiver.

TollKeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rear suspension just seems stiff. It doesn't glide over bumps how I thought it would. The front feels fine. I have never had a vehicle this big and I'm used to sport suspension and comfort suspension that I used to have with BMW and Porsche. I may just be expecting too much from it. I might put 200 pounds of sand in back and see if it smooths out. If it does what can that tell me. Spring too stiff? As far as I know it's the factory spring. I got the Tahoe from an old couple and I'm the second owner. I doubt they changed springs or anything but I could be wrong. Thanks again swathdiver.
I think my suspension also rides fairly stiff, and I dont have the ZW7.

I am kinda confused by my build sheet thou. I do have Z55, G69, but I have one that is confusing. AL4 is listed twice..
AL4 - Second Row Bucket Seats w/Heat
AL4 - Suspension, Firm Ride Handling, Front and Rear

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
these trucks have a solid rear axle and even with air-ride the rear is a bit stiff that's just the way it is, just take the speed bumps slightly slower on the rear.
If you really desire a slightly better ride sell it and find one with air-ride, generally the higher trim levels have it like ltz, denali, escalade. You may find it on some 2lt's/sle as well.

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
these trucks have a solid rear axle and even with air-ride the rear is a bit stiff that's just the way it is, just take the speed bumps slightly slower on the rear.
If you really desire a slightly better ride sell it and find one with air-ride, generally the higher trim levels have it like ltz, denali, escalade. You may find it on some 2lt's/sle as well.
I think I will just deal with it haha. It's not terrible just not what I was expecting. I really do enjoy the Tahoe. It's been a great ride. I will be keeping it for a long time.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think my suspension also rides fairly stiff, and I dont have the ZW7.

I am kinda confused by my build sheet thou. I do have Z55, G69, but I have one that is confusing. AL4 is listed twice..
AL4 - Second Row Bucket Seats w/Heat
AL4 - Suspension, Firm Ride Handling, Front and Rear

Build sheet aside, what are your "Axx" RPO codes in the glovebox?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't test the ball joints with a dial indicator. And frankly I never will lol. I will say that the front end takes bumps very well just the rear tends to be more harsh. Maybe due to more weight upfront than the rear? Like I said it feels like im driving a truck more than a large SUV.
Ok Brandon, well, I think I posted about it earlier, these things were made to haul and tow and are a bit bumpy when empty. Those foreign cars are not made for such. So throw some weight in the back (75+ pounds) and drive around a bit and I bet you'll discover that she settles down to a nice ride for what she is.

For about a month a couple years ago, the spare tire hoist was out of the truck and so we rode around without the spare down there, talk about a bumpy ride!

OP
OP
Brandon2489

Brandon2489

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok Brandon, well, I think I posted about it earlier, these things were made to haul and tow and are a bit bumpy when empty. Those foreign cars are not made for such. So throw some weight in the back (75+ pounds) and drive around a bit and I bet you'll discover that she settles down to a nice ride for what she is.

For about a month a couple years ago, the spare tire hoist was out of the truck and so we rode around without the spare down there, talk about a bumpy ride!
It never really crossed my mind how not having a spare tire would cause a bumpy ride but It makes since. I appreciate all the feedback swathdiver. I have only been acrive on this forum for a week and I can honestly say this place has been very helpful and way more friendly than other forums for other makes of vehicles.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It never really crossed my mind how not having a spare tire would cause a bumpy ride but It makes since. I appreciate all the feedback swathdiver. I have only been acrive on this forum for a week and I can honestly say this place has been very helpful and way more friendly than other forums for other makes of vehicles.
My pleasure sir! I started out here knowing little about these things too about four years ago when we bought our first one. I was into cars years earlier but these were all new and this place is a treasure trove of information. Keep us posted on how she rides and I bet that she settles down in time too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons